Courtlandt Place Houston Neighborhood Guide
One of Houston’s earlier upscale neighborhoods, Courtlandt Place has over the years remained an exclusive residential enclave.
Essentially a small block in the Neartown/Montrose area, Courtlandt Place is a storied neighborhood prized for its:
- CENTRAL LOCATION: The neighborhood enjoys a central Inner Loop location, east of Hyde Park and River Oaks, west of Midtown, and north of the Museum District.
- GREAT ACCESSIBILITY: Courtlandt Place homes have convenient access to several main thoroughfares, including Westheimer Road, Bagby Street, West Alabama Street, and Montrose Boulevard.
- PROXIMITY TO RETAIL AND ENTERTAINMENT: Located a few blocks away from the Menil Collection and the University of St. Thomas, Courtlandt Place homes have easy access to Houston’s retail, dining, entertainment, and cultural hotspots.
- SMALL, CLOSE-KNIT COMMUNITY: The community is made up of 18 homes, all built between 1909 and 1937. One of Houston’s older neighborhooods, Courtlandt Place has kept its exclusive community feel.
- HISTORIC HOMES: Unlike most Houston neighborhoods, Courtlandt Place still has its original homes. Carefully maintained and updated, each home features period architecture including Colonial Revival, Mediterranean, Classical, Tudor, and Georgian styles.
Because of the neighborhood’s limited inventory, navigating the Courtlandt Place real estate market can be challenging.
For any inquiries about Courtlandt Place homes recommendations, or off-market MLS listings, get in touch with Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com and one of the best realtors in Houston.
Courtlandt Place Resources (Popular Topics)
- All Courtlandt Place Homes For Sale
- 12 Things Courtlandt Place Real Estate Buyers Should Know
- Courtlandt Place maps and location
- Fun things to do in Courtlandt Place
- Neighborhoods near Courtlandt Place
- Courtlandt Place History
- Courtlandt Place Schools
Courtlandt Place Real Estate Guide
- Courtlandt Place real estate trends
- Single-family home sale trends
- Townhome sale trends
- Condo sale trends
- Paige Martin – Courtlandt Place Realtor
Call Paige at 713-384-5177 to tour a Courtlandt Place Houston home today or email Paige@HoustonProperties.com for more information.
Platted in 1906, Courtlandt Place is one of Houston’s older neighborhoods.
- Located within the trendy Montrose/Neartown area, the neighborhood enjoys a central Inner Loop location.
- Courtlandt Place homes have convenient access to several main thoroughfares, including Westheimer Road, Bagby Street, West Alabama Street, and Montrose Boulevard.
- Located a few blocks away from the Menil Collection and the University of St. Thomas, Courtlandt Place homes have easy access to Houston’s retail, dining, entertainment, and cultural hotspots.
- The community is made up of 18 homes, all built between 1906 and 1937. One of Houston’s older neighborhooods, Courtlandt Place has kept its exclusive community feel.
- Unlike most Houston neighborhoods, Courtlandt Place still has its original homes. Carefully maintained and updated, each home features period architecture including Colonial Revival, Mediterranean, Classical, Tudor, and Georgian styles.
- Courtlandt Place is nestled east of Hyde Park and River Oaks, west of Midtown, and north of the Museum District.
- Prominent architects built Courtlandt Place homes, including Warren and Wetmore, John F. Staub, Birdsall P. Briscoe, and Sanguinet and Staats.
- Courtlandt Place is a designated historic district. In 1979, it was admitted to the National Register of Historic Places. In 1989, the neighborhood received a Texas historical marker.
- Courtlandt Place homes typically feature 3- to 5-bedroom 2- to 2 1/2-story floor plans.
- Homes in the neighborhood feature some of the largest lots in the central Inner Loop area, with sizes ranging from 20,000 to more than 28,000 square feet.
- Courtlandt Place homes were designed with entertaining guests in mind and typically feature roomy living spaces. Homes sizes range from 3,000 to more than 6,000 square feet.
- Prices for Courtlandt Place homes for sale can start at around $1,00,000 and can go up to more than $2,000,000.
Located a couple of miles southwest of Downtown Houston, Courtlandt Place is nestled in the area west of Midtown, north of the Museum District, and east of Hyde Park and River Oaks. It is within the vibrant Montrose/Neartown area.
Courtlandt Place homes have convenient access to key Houston business and employment districts including the Medical Center, Downtown, the Galleria, and Greenway Plaza. Schools, parks, museums, restaurants, bars, and retail centers are also nearby.
Made up of only 18 single-family homes, Courtlandt Place exudes a private, almost intimate vibe. The neighborhood consists of one long tree-lined boulevard with beautiful homes on each side. Gates on both ends of the block restrict entry into the neighborhood.
The small community is a designated Houston Historic District like Westmoreland and Avondale.
Courtlandt Place is under the 77006 Harris County zip code.
Zip codes near Courtlandt Place Houston include 77098, 77002, 77005, 77019, and 77004. (View Houston zip code map.)
Thanks to its central location, Courtlandt Place homes have easy access to Houston’s finest dining, retail, and entertainment hotspots.
Residents are minutes away from the Menil Collection and the Rothko Chapel, the River Oaks Shopping Center, the George R. Brown Convention Center, and the Theater District.
Founded by John and Dominique de Menil, the Menil Collection features more than 15,000 art pieces – sculptures, paintings, drawings, photographs, and prints, among others.
The Rothko Chapel is another project of the Menils. It’s an interfaith chapel features books from various religions and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
There are also plenty of restaurants, boutiques, cafes, and bars along Westheimer Road, W Alabama, and Montrose Boulevard.
Here are some of the must-visit places around Courtlandt Place Houston:
- Cooking Girl
- The Breakfast Klub
- JINYA Ramen Bar
- Melange’s Creperie
- Cafe Brussels
- Da Marco
- Mark’s American Cuisine
- Brennan’s of Houston
- Baba Yega’s
- Wooster’s Garden
- Poison Girl
- Griff’s Houston
- Cecil’s Pub
- Firkin & Phoenix Pub
- Avant Garden
- Rosemont Social Club
- The Community Bar
- Absinthe Restaurant Lounge
- The Alley Kat Bar & Lounge
- Maple Leaf Club
- Boheme Cafe & Wine Bar
- West Alabama Ice House
- Double Trouble Caffeine and Cocktails
- Menil Collection
- The Rothko Chaper
- Art League of Houston
- Blue Orange
- Contemporary Arts Museum
- Menil Park
- Cherryhurst Park
- Buffalo Bayou Park
- Eleanor Tinsley Park
- Shiffick Park
Neighborhoods near Courtlandt Place include:
- Downtown Houston
- Museum District
- Rice Military
- River Oaks
- Upper Kirby
- Medical Center
Located in what was once the outskirts of Houston, Courtlandt Place was built as a residential enclave for the then fledgling city’s elite. The historic neighborhood was platted in 1906, a few years after Westmoreland Place (1902). Both were exclusive communities that at the time were called “Private Places”, built in response to Houston’s urban chaos.
The first 14 Courtlandt Place homes were built before WWI. Four more were added to the community by 1937. Distinguished architects and developers built homes in the area, including the likes of Warren and Wetmore, John F. Staub, Sanguinet and Staats, and Birdsall P. Briscoe.
Today, Courtlandt Place is a historic district. In 1979, the community was inducted into the National Register of Historic Places. Ten years later, Courtlandt Place received a Texas historical marker.
Courtlandt Place homes are zoned to Houston Independent School District (HISD). Public schools located in the area include:
- MacGregor Elementary School at 4801 La Branch St. Henry F. MacGregor Elementary opened its doors in 1922. It is a music and science magnet academy serving students from EE to 5th grade. McGregor offers a variety of magnet programs as well as an extended day program.
- Wharton Dual Language Academy at 900 W Gray St. This dual language magnet school serves students in grades K to 5 and 6 to 8. Its magnet program centers on English and Spanish – with each language considered to be of equal value.
- Woodrow Wilson Montessori at 2100 Yupon St. Built at the site of Mirabeau Lamar’s summer farm home, the school offers a Montessori program and serves students in grades PK to 8.
- Lanier Middle School at 2600 Woodhead St. One of the Houston ISD’s IB World schools, Lanier offers a Vanguard magnet program as well as an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP). The school has also received a Texas Gold Performance Award from the TEA.
- Gregory-Lincoln Education Center at 1101 Taft. Also known as GLEC, Gregory-Lincoln is a fine arts magnet school for students in Pre-K to 8th grade. It offers classes in culinary arts, visual arts, dance, theater, and vocal and instrumental music, among others.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Lamar is known for its excellent athletics programs, though its academics is equally impressive. It is an IB World School offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. Lamar also features a Business Administration Magnet Program and offers several AP classes.
- High School for the Performing and Visual Arts at 4001 Stanford St. Affectionately known as HSPVA (or simply PVA), the school is made up of 6 departments: Intrumental Music, Vocal Music, Theater, Visual Arts, Dance, and Creative Writing.
Courtlandt Place Houston Private Schools
The following are some of the more notable private schools near Courtlandt Place.
- Annunciation Orthodox School at 3600 Yoakum Blvd.
- The Harris School at 900 Lovett Blvd.
- Avalon Academy at 1616 Indiana St.
- Kipling Street Academy at 1425 Kipling St.
- School For Young Children at 810 Sul Ross St.
- St Stephens Episcopal School at 1800 Sul Ross St.
- St. John’s School at 2401 Claremont Ln.
To find an updated listing of all Courtlandt Place real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
*Due to the very limited number of homes in the community, there are too few data points to accurately represent Courtlandt Place real estate trends.
For updated information regarding Courtlandt Place real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Beautifully restored and updated Courtlandt Place single-family homes line the neighborhood’s lone boulevard. Each Courtlandt Place home is a study in period architecture, featuring Colonial Revival, Mediterranean, Classical, Tudor, and Georgian styles.
Courtlandt Place homes typically feature 3- to 5-bedroom 2- to 2 1/2-story floor plans. Homes in the area feature large lots (by Houston standards) ranging from 20,000 to more than 28,000 square feet.
There are no townhomes within the boundaries of Courtlandt Place. Surrounding areas like Neartown/Montrose and Midtown, however, offer plenty of townhomes for sale.
There are no mid- or high-rise Courtlandt Place condos for sale, but plenty of units are available in surrounding neighborhoods like River Oaks, Downtown Houston, and Museum District.
- Piedmont at River Oaks
- The Royalton at River Oaks
- Bayou Bend Towers
- Inwood Manor
- Regency House
- Renoir Lofts
- The Willowick
- The River Oaks
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in Courtlandt Place Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Courtlandt Place, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Courtlandt Place TX realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate atPaige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.