Crestwood Houston Neighborhood Guide
Crestwood is an affluent residential neighborhood adjacent to Memorial Park.
Typically mentioned alongside Glen Cove, the neighborhood is made up of several upscale subdivisions prized for their:
- QUIET SUBURBAN FEEL: Crestwood real estate has remained popular over the years due to several factors, including the neighborhood’s location, large lots, and relatively affordable home prices.
- GREAT LOCATION: The neighborhood is just north of Loop 610 and east of US 290. Crestwood homes have convenient access to main arteries like TC Jester Blvd, N Shepherd Dr, Katy Fwy, and North Fwy.
- EXCELLENT ACCESSIBILITY: Homes in the area enjoy convenient access to schools, stores, restaurants, entertainment centers, and parks. Business and employment hubs in the Galleria and Downtown Houston are easily accessible from the neighborhood.
- BEAUTIFUL HOMES: Crestwood is one of Houston’s older neighborhoods. It features updated and renovated ranch-style homes from the 1940s and 1950s, as well as new construction homes.
- STRONG HOUSING MARKET: The median sales price of Crestwood homes posted a 131% positive change over 10 years (from 2005 to 2014).
Apart from relatively easy commutes and the neighborhood’s quiet suburban feel, Crestwood’s schools are also a great draw for homebuyers. Recent changes, including a trend in tearing down older homes for newer and bigger homes, has made the neighborhood’s market a bit tricky to navigate.
For any inquiries about Crestwood homes recommendations, or off-market MLS listings, get in touch with Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com and one of the best realtors in Houston.
Crestwood Resources (Popular Topics)
- All Crestwood Homes For Sale
- Most Expensive Crestwood Homes For Sale
- Crestwood Homes Under $500K
- Crestwood Townhomes For Sale
- Five Key Crestwood Real Estate Trends
Houston Crestwood Neighborhood Profile
- 12 Things Crestwood Real Estate Buyers Should Know
- Crestwood maps and location
- Fun things to do in Crestwood
- Neighborhoods near Crestwood
- Crestwood History
- Crestwood Schools
Crestwood Real Estate Guide
Made up of 18 smaller communities called sections, Crestwood is one of the largest groups of subdivisions in Harris County, behind Sharpstown and Kingwood.
- Crestwood real estate has remained popular over the years due to several factors, including the neighborhood’s location, large lots, and relatively affordable home prices.
- The neighborhood is just north of Loop 610 and east of US 290. Crestwood homes have convenient access to main arteries like TC Jester Blvd, N Shepherd Dr, Katy Fwy, and North Fwy.
- Homes in the area enjoy convenient access to schools, stores, restaurants, entertainment centers, and parks. Business and employment hubs in the Galleria and Downtown Houston are easily accessible from the neighborhood.
- Crestwood is one of Houston’s older neighborhoods. It features updated and renovated ranch-style homes from the 1940s and 1950s, as well as new construction homes.
- The median sales price of Crestwood homes posted a 131% positive change over 10 years (from 2005 to 2014).
- Average price per square foot also posted a similar increase (100%) over the same period.
- Homes in Crestwood tend to sell well, as the number of homes sold has increased by 39% in the past decade.
- Some of the neighborhood’s original homes have since been replaced with larger, newer homes.
- The neighborhood has maintained most of its quiet suburban feel – thanks to its homeowners association and its deed restrictions.
- Older Crestwood home sizes range between 1,200 to 1,300 square feet, while new construction homes in the area can offer 3,000 to more than 5,000 square feet.
- Homes in the area typically sit on large lots (by Houston standards). Lot sizes can range between 7,000 to more than 10,000 square feet.
- Prices for Crestwood homes for sale can start at around $150,000 and can go up to more than $800,000.
Located in northwest Houston, Crestwood is just north of Loop 610 and east of Northwest Freeway (US 290).
Crestwood homes enjoy a relatively central location, with easy access to main roads including US 290, Loop 610, I-45, I-10, N Shepherd Dr, TC Jester Blvd, and Ella Blvd.
Parks, restaurants, cafes, shops, and entertainment centers are within minutes of the neighborhood. Job centers in the Galleria and Downtown Houston are also conveniently accessible from Crestwood homes.
The neighborhood is made up of 18 sections. Each section follows its own set of deed restrictions. The area is mostly residential, though during Crestwood’s development, some areas were set aside for parks, schools, and commercial establishments.
Crestwood is under the 77018 and 77092 Harris County zip codes.
Zip codes near Crestwood TX include 77091, 77076, 77055, and 77008. (View Houston zip code map.)
Crestwood is minutes from major Houston hotspots like the Galleria and Downtown, but the neighborhood does feature parks, restaurants, cafes, and retail and commercial establishments within its borders.
The neighborhood has 4 parks: Candlelight Community Center and Park, Crestwood Park, T.C. Jester Park, and American Legion Park.
Candlelight Park at 1520 Candlelight features an indoor gym, a lighted sportsfield, a playground, and a hike-and-bike trail. T.C. Jester Park, on the other hand, features a swimming pool, a dog park, a disc golf course, and hike-and-bike trails.
There are a number of burger joints, ice houses, and restaurants in the area, though residents may want to take the drive into town for more options.
Here are some of Crestwood TX must-visit places:
- Hicks House Cajun Cafe
- Fiesta Tacos
- Petrol Station
- Houston Panini & Provisions
- House of Fries
- Biskit Junkie
- Little Bitty Burger Barn
- El Ray Taqueria
- Plonk! Beer & Wine Bistro
- Wakefield CrowBar
- The Crestwood Chill Neighborhood Icehouse
- Catty Corner Ice House
- Food Town
- Family Dollar
- American Legion Park
- Crestwood Park
- T.C. Jester Park
- Candlelight Community Center & Park
Neighborhoods near Crestwood include:
- Greater Heights
- Garden Oaks
- Spring Branch
- Memorial Villages (Hilshire Village and Spring Valley Village)
Land developer Frank Sharp established Crestwood in 1947, under his company Crestwood Realty Corporation.
The company built homes in Section 1, in the area east of Crestwood Drive and west of Golf Drive. The first Crestwood home, which was used as a sales office, was built on Golf and Fisher Drive.
Sharp, who later established Sharpstown and several post-WWII developments, designed Crestwood with areas for schools, parks, places of worship, and commercial establishments.
Crestwood homes during the period sold to war veterans for about $8,000 to $10,000. Homes made during this period were mostly ranch-style homes on large lots.
The neighborhood was annexed in 1949, and is the third largest group of subdivisions in Harris County, behind Sharpstown and Kingwood.
Today, Crestwood has more than 5,500 homes and 23,000 residents. The neighborhood’s continuing popularity has spurred a lot of development. Some of the area’s original homes have been torn down and replaced with bigger new construction homes.
Crestwood homes are zoned to Houston Independent School District (HISD) and students in the area can attend the following public schools:
- Crestwood Elementary School at 1401 W 43rd St. Founded in 1951, Crestwood Elementary is one of the highly rated schools in the area. It offers several academic programs including Vanguard Magnet, ESL, Developmental Bilingual, and Structured Learning Class, among others. The school has a 10 out of 10 GreatSchools rating.
- Garden Oaks Montessori Magnet School at 901 Sue Barnett Dr. Previously known as Garden Oaks Elementary School, the school is a “Montessori Magnet with Environmental Sciences”. Garden Oaks Montessori offers Vanguard Neighborhood, Montessori, ESL, Preparing Students for Independence (PSI), and Preschoolers Achieving Learning Skills (PALS) programs.
- Wainwright Elementary School at at 5330 Milwee St. Wainwright Elementary, also a Vanguard Magnet school, offers programs in dual language, and Houston Ballet. The school also features Title 1, as well as Backpack Buddy, a program with the Houston Food Bank.
- Benbrook Elementary School at 4026 Bolin Rd. Benbrook Elementary serves students in grades PK to 5 and offers Vanguard Neighborhood and SLL programs. The school also offers Co-Teacher Services, and Speech Therapy Services.
- Stevens Elementary School at 1910 La Monte Ln. Originally a relief school for the Crestwood Elementary, Lulu M. Stevens Elementary opened in 1952. A full-fledged independent school by 1954, the school offers several activities, including robotics, Saturday School, special programs, and after school care.
- Smith Elementary School at 4802 Chrystell Ln. Established in 1954, Smith Elementary offers Vanguard Neighborhood, ESL, Behavior Support Class (BSC), and Skills for Learning and Living (SLL), among other programs.
- Frank Black Middle School at 1575 Chantilly Ln. Named after one of Houston’s most notable educators, Black opened its doors in 1957. A Vanguard magnet school, Black offers a variety of electives and academic programs.
- Clifton Middle School at 1100 Merrill St. Clifton is a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Magnet Vanguard school. Courses offered under the magnet program include engineering and robotics, aerospace science, environmental science, marine science, and multimedia application and design, among others.
- Waltrip High School at 1900 West 34th St. Stephen Pool Waltrip High School offers HISD’s Research and Technology magnet program. The school also features a child development center for low income preschool students and a full complement of girls’ and boys’ varsity teams.
- Scarborough High School at 4141 Costa Rica Rd. Opened in 1968, Scarborough High started out as a Junior High. After Clifton opened some years later, the school transformed into a high school. Today, it offers a Futures Academy program, HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) program, and Business Operation and Management program.
Crestwood TX Private Schools
The following are some of the more notable private schools near Crestwood.
- Christian School of Northwest Houston at 6720 W Tidwell Rd.
- Memorial Hall School at 3721 Dacoma St.
- Montessori Children’s Cottage at 4009 Sherwood Ln.
- St. Ambrose Catholic School in at 4213 Mangum Rd.
- St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church at 3600 Brinkman St.
- Temple Oaks Baptist School at 2101 W 34th St.
To find an updated listing of all Crestwood real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Crestwood real estate have posted impressive and steady appreciation rates. From 2005 to 2014, the median sales price of Crestwood homes have increased by 131%.
This growth can be attributed to the neighborhood’s resurgence – the increase of bigger new construction homes has pushed prices up.
Average price per square foot also posted similar appreciation rates, increasing from $96 to $192 over the same period. Homes sold in Crestwood have also grown, posting a 65% 5-year change.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Crestwood real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Crestwood homes are mostly single-family properties on large lots. The neighborhood’s original ranch-style homes are typically smaller compared with new construction 2-story homes in the area. Home sizes vary, ranging from 1,400 to more than 5,000 square feet.
By Houston standards, Crestwood homes feature generous lots, between 7,000 to more than 10,000 square feet. Some homes (in the 77092 zip code) feature smaller lots.
Crestwood single-family homes are among the best selling homes in Houston. In 2013, 608 homes were sold in the neighborhood, though this number has decreased by 9% (to 556 homes) in 2014.
Most Crestwood homes were built in the late 1940s to 1950s. Much like other neighborhoods near or within Houston’s Inner Loop, Crestwood went through a shift in home architecture during the 1990s. New residents bought old properties and proceeded to either renovate homes or demolish them in favor of more modern housing.
The Crestwood Homeowners Association however enforces deed restriction to maintain the community’s architectural identity. Aside from the Deed Restriction Committee, they also have an Architectural Committee and Beautification Committee.
These three departments work together with the homeowners to ensure that all homes in Crestwood stay with the neighborhood’s peaceful, family-friendly and small-town vibe.
Given the Crestwood neighborhood’s preference for deed restrictions and single-family homes, there are currently no residential mid- to highrise in the area. There are however nearby neighborhoods with condos for sale.
Crestwood is made up of mostly single-family homes though nearby Garden Oaks has numerous townhomes for sale.
Many developers have purchased lots in Garden Oaks and begun construction on new townhomes. The most common Garden Oaks townhomes are in the $180,000 to $250,000 range, with the prices depending on the townhomes’ lot size, style, and exact location. (View all Garden Oaks homes for sale)
Other condos within 10-20 minutes of Crestwood include:
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in Crestwood Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Crestwood, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Crestwood TX realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate at Paige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.