Memorial Houston Neighborhood Guide
Covering a vast area west of Houston’s Inner Loop, Memorial is made up of several neighborhoods, gated communities, and independent cities.
Memorial real estate are some of the Bayou City’s most desirable and most expensive. Homes in the area continue to be popular due to a number of factors, including:
- GREAT LOCATION: Memorial Houston homes enjoy easy access to schools, stores, restaurants, entertainment centers, and parks. The Galleria/Uptown area and the Energy Corridor, two of Houston’s main employment centers, are easily accessible from neighborhoods in Memorial.
- EASY ACCESSIBILITY: Most of Memorial sits south of Katy Freeway (I-10), west of Loop 610, east of SH 6, and north of the Buffalo Bayou.
- GREAT SELECTION OF HOMES: The area features a wide variety of home options, from townhomes to old ranch-style homes, and from traditional single-family homes to grand estates.
- SPACIOUS LOTS: Memorial homes for sale typically sit on large, wooded lots, with sizes ranging from 3,000 to more than 20,000 square feet.
- EXCELLENT SCHOOLS: The area is zoned to some of the most highly regarded schools from the Spring Branch ISD and Houston ISD.
Due to the wide range of home types and neighborhoods in the area, homebuyers will benefit from consulting with the best Memorial realtor.
For any inquiries about Memorial homes recommendations, or off-market MLS listings, get in touch with Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com and one of the best realtors in Houston.
Memorial Resources (Popular Topics)
- All Memorial Homes For Sale
- Most Expensive Memorial Homes For Sale
- Memorial Homes Under $500K
- Memorial Townhomes For Sale
- Five Key Memorial Real Estate Trends
Houston Memorial Neighborhood Profile
- 12 Things Memorial Real Estate Buyers Should Know
- Memorial maps and location
- Fun things to do in Memorial
- Neighborhoods near Memorial
- Memorial History
- Memorial Schools
Memorial Real Estate Guide
The vast Memorial Houston area is made up of several neighborhoods, independent cities, and smaller gated communities.
- Memorial real estate are among the most highly desirable and most expensive in Houston.
- The area features a wide variety of home options, from townhomes to old ranch-style homes, and from traditional single-family homes to grand estates.
- Memorial homes typically sit on large, wooded lots, with sizes ranging from 3,000 to more than 20,000 square feet.
- Most of Memorial sits south of Katy Freeway (I-10), west of Loop 610, east of SH 6, and north of the Buffalo Bayou.
- Memorial Houston homes enjoy easy access to schools, stores, restaurants, entertainment centers, and parks. The Galleria/Uptown area and the Energy Corridor, two of Houston’s main employment centers, are easily accessible from neighborhoods in Memorial.
- Several retail centers are within the area’s borders, including the Memorial City Mall and Town & Country Village, among others. Plenty of outdoor activity and entertainment venues are also available in Memorial.
- The median sales price of Memorial Houston homes have continued to appreciate over the past ten years, posting a 92% positive change.
- Average price per square foot has increased by more than half (56%) over the same period.
- Due to the area’s size, it will be best to look at individual neighborhoods to get a better view of homes in Memorial.
- Some of Memorial’s neighborhoods, villages, and communities have homeowners associations and deed restrictions.
- Older homes in the area have since been replaced with newer homes. Some gated communities and new construction homes have also cropped up in Memorial.
- Prices for Memorial homes for sale can start at around $150,000 and can go up to more than $2,500,000.
Located west of Downtown Houston, the Memorial area lies just outside Loop 610.
Most of Memorial stretches south of the Katy Freeway (I-10), from Loop 610 to State Highway 6. The area sits north of the Buffalo Bayou.
Its strategic location gives it convenient access to major freeways like Beltway 8, I-10, Loop 610, and SH 6. Major streets like Memorial Drive run through the Memorial area.
Neighborhoods and subdivisions in Memorial Houston fall under the 77007, 77079, 77055, 77056, and 77024 zip codes of Harris County.
Zip codes near Memorial homes for sale include 77092, 77008, 77019, 77027, and 77057. (View Houston zip code map.)
Memorial Area Neighborhoods and Subdivisions
Memorial City is a district located along Interstate 10 between Beltway 8 and Bunker Hill Road. The area is mostly made up of retail, office, medical complexes, and a few apartment complexes.
Memorial Villages is a collection of upscale residential communities in Memorial Houston.
Just a few minutes west of Downtown Houston, the six independent villages making up the area are known for their small-town vibe. The Villages consistently rank as some of the most desirable places to live in Texas.
Many of the homes feature home styles ranging from traditional, contemporary, and country. The villages operate shared fire and police departments.
- Bunker Hill Village is a city within the Memorial Villages. It was named as one of “Top Suburbs to Live Well” in Houston by Forbes.com in 2008.
- Hilshire Village has the smallest land area of all the Memorial Villages. It is one of the wealthiest locations in Texas per capita income.
- Spring Valley Village was incorporated in 1955 and is located north of Katy Freeway.
- Hunters Creek Village is one of the wealthiest locations in Texas by per capita income. A BusinessWeek study in 2010 also named it the most expensive suburb in Texas.
- Piney Point Village is one of the wealthiest places in Texas. The city was incorporated in 1955 and has restrictions against all forms of businesses.
- Hedwig Village was incorporated in 1954 and is located south of Katy Freeway. It is one of the smallest municipalities in Harris County.
Memorial Super Neighborhood
Memorial Super Neighborhood is a community of residential subdivisions extending from the incorporated villages of Memorial to Highway 6. Common home styles in the area are traditional, contemporary, New Orleans Colonial, and Cape Cod.
Member neighborhoods include:
- Ashford Forest
- Autumn Oaks
- Barker’s Landing
- Ethan’s Glen
- Fonn Villas
- Memorial Bend
- Memorial Drive Acres
- Memorial Thicket
- Memorial Way
- Nottingham Forest
- Whispering Oaks
- Winding Brook
- Woods on Memorial
Other Memorial Houston Subdivisions
Stablewood is the first gated subdivision in Houston and lies along the beautiful forest of Buffalo Bayou. It was modeled after Boulevard Oaks, and houses over 120 (mostly single-family) homes. All Stablewood Houston homes are required to have more than 4,200 square feet of space.
Gaywood Houston is an upscale subdivision of mostly one-story and two-story single family homes. It stretches from Memorial Drive to Buffalo Bayou.
Bayou Woods is a neighborhood of approximately 117 homes. Most of the homes are of Traditional American design and are surrounded by mature oak trees and landscaped gardens.
The Energy Corridor is one of Houston’s major employment centers and is home to a number of companies and businesses.
Thanks to the Memorial’s vast area, residents have plenty of outdoor recreation, retail, dining, and entertainment options.
Memorial neighborhoods west of Beltway 8 are minutes away from George Bush Park, Bear Creek Pioneers Park, and Terry Hershey Park. Neighborhoods near the Loop have easy access to Memorial Park.
Memorial Park is one of the most popular places to run in the city. It houses tennis courts, volleyball courts, skating rinks, a fitness center, swimming pool, bike trails, and playing fields.
Memorial Park Golf Course, one of the country’s top municipal golf courses, is located within Memorial Park. Two members-only country clubs, Lakeside Country Club and Houston Country Club, are near Memorial area neighborhoods.
Town & Country Village, the CityCentre Plaza, and the recently renovated Memorial City Mall offer plenty of dining, retail and entertainment options.
The Galleria/Uptown area, Houston’s major retail district, is a short drive away from Memorial Houston homes.
Neighborhoods near main thoroughfares such as Sam Houston Parkway, Katy Freeway, Memorial Drive, and West Loop Freeway have better access to the many commercial establishments within Memorial.
- LA Crawfish
- Izakaya Wa
- KUU Restaurant
- Sushi Jin
- Bibijo Express
- Traditional American
- Sweet Tomatoes
- Ruggles Green
- Bistro Alex
- Dish Society
- Yard House
- The Union Kitchen
- Cafe RIta
- Empire Turkish Grill
- Bistro Provence
- Grills, Seafood, and Steakhouses
- Brenner’s Steakhouse
- Jonathan’s The Rub
- Perry’s Steakhouse & Grille
- Eddie V’s Prime Seafood
- The Brisket House
- Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
- Orange Lunch Box
- Tous Les Jours
- Pappy’s Cafe
- Corner Bakery Cafe
- Sweet Paris Creperie
- The Americana Cafe
- Cafe La Villete
- Beans Cafe
- Memorial City Mall
- Affection Boutique
- Georgia’s Farm to Market
- A Moveable Feast
- Leibman’s Wine & Foods
- Town & Country Mall
- Memorial Park
- Hedwig Park
- George Bush Park
- Molly Pryor Memorial Orchard
- Terry Hershey Park
- Nottingham Park
- Houston Audubon Society
- Bendwood Park
- Edith L. Moore Nature Sanctuary
- Shakespeare Pub
- Watson’s House of Ales
- G Bar
- NextDoor Bar and Lounge
- Burlap Barrel
Neighborhoods near Memorial include:
- Spring Branch
- Galleria/Uptown area
- Energy Corridor
- Lakeside Forest
- Royal Oaks
- Parkway Terrace
- Upland Lakes
During the 1930s, the area now known as Memorial used to be largely wooded and made up of stables and timber mills. There were some homes in the area, mostly ranch-style homes on sprawling lots.
Houston started expanding beyond the Loop, during a housing boom in the 1950s and 1960s. Thanks to the completion of the I-10, developers looked to the west, building upper-middle-class subdivisions along the Buffalo Bayou.
Residential and commercial development in Memorial continued over the next four decades. Development in the area is, however, uneven. The Memorial area is home to deed-restricted neighborhoods, gated communities, and independent cities with townhomes, single-family homes, condos, and luxury estates.
Today, Memorial offers a wide array of homes in different architectural styles. Some of the area’s original ranch-style and traditional homes still stand, though most have been replaced with new construction homes.
Majority of Memorial Houston students are zoned to the highly-acclaimed Spring Branch Independent School District (SBISD) while the rest attend Houston Independent School District (HISD) schools.
Many of Houston’s notable private schools are also within Memorial.
- Memorial Elementary School at 6401 Arnot St. Memorial ES serves students grades PK -6 and has a GreatSchools.org rating of 6/10.
- Stevens Elementary School at 1910 Lamonte Ln. Stevens ES serves students grades PK-5 and has a GreatSchools.org rating of 4/10.
- Briargrove Elementary School. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 6/10, and students perform well above the state average.
Spring Branch ISD
- Bunker Hill Elementary School at 11950 Taylorcrest. Bunker Hill ES is a TEA Gold Performance School and a consistent Texas Exemplary School. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 9/10.
- Frostwood Elementary School at 12214 Memorial Dr. Frostwood ES has been a National Blue Ribbon School for many years. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10/10.
- Hunters Creek Elementary School at 10650 Beinhorn Rd. Hunters Creek ES serves parts of Hunters Creek Village, Stablewood, and some areas of Houston. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 8/10.
- Memorial Drive Elementary School at 11202 Smithdale. Once a National Blue Ribbon School, Memorial Drive ES serves sections of Piney Point Village, Hedwig Village, Hunters Creek Village, and Bunker Hill Village. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10/10.
- Shadow Oaks Elementary School at 1335 Shadowdale Dr. A few sections of Memorial City is zoned to Shadow Oaks ES.
- Valley Oaks Elementary School at 8390 Westview Dr. This recently rebuilt school has a GreatSchools.org rating of 7/10.
- Wildcat Way School at 12754 Kimberley Ln. Wildcat Way School serves Pre-K students in the Memorial area and has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 5/5.
- Grady Middle School at 5215 San Felipe Rd. Grady Middle School is a TEA Recognized school with a 6/10 rating from GreatSchools.org.
Spring Branch ISD
- Spring Oaks Middle School at 2150 Shadowdale Dr. Spring Oaks MS was a former recipient of the National Blue Ribbon Award and serves residents of Shadow Oaks, Westwood, Pine Shadows, and Sherwood.
- Memorial Middle School at 12550 Vindon Dr. Memorial MS serves students grades 6-8. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10/10.
- Spring Branch Middle School at 1000 Piney Point Rd. Another former recipient of the National Blue Ribbon Award, Spring Branch MS has a GreatSchools.org rating of 7/10.
- High School for Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice at 4701 Dickson. LE/CJ is an all-magnet school for law enforcement and criminal justice. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 8/10.
- Lee High School at 6529 Beverly Hill Ln. Lee HS ranked #151 out of over 16,000 schools nationwide in a Newsweek Magazine article in 2010 on “America’s Best High Schools”.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Lamar High School has a great Athletics program. They have one of the oldest lacrosse programs in the state. Their football team, The Lamar Redskins, is one of the highest-ranking teams within the Greater Houston area. It has GreatSchools.org rating of 7/10.
- Westside High School at 14201 Briar Forest Dr. Westside HS is Magnet School for Integrated Technology. It has GreatSchools.org rating of 7/10.
Spring Branch ISD
- Memorial High School at 935 Echo Ln. Memorial High School was named the 10th most posh public school in the country in 2011. It is also the oldest operating school under the Spring Branch ISD. The school serves students in the Memorial Villages, Spring Branch regions, and a portion of Memorial City. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 8/10.
- Stratford High School at 14555 Fern Dr. Known for its great athletics and academics programs, Stratford has been named a Gold Medal School and a National Blue Ribbon School (1983-84). It has also received an Exemplary TEA rating, the College Readiness Award, and the Gold Performance Award.
Other notable private schools in the area include:
- Memorial Private High School at 14333 Fern Dr.
- Depelchin-Elkins Campus at 4950 Memorial Dr.
- St. Theresa Catholic School at 6623 Rodrigo St.
- St. Thomas High School at 4500 Memorial Dr.
- Center for Hearing and Speech at 3636 W Dallas St.
- School of the Woods at 1321 Wirt Rd.
- St. Cecilia Catholic School at 11720 Joan of Arc Dr.
- The Kinkaid School at 201 Kinkaid School Dr.
- St. Francis Episcopal Day School at 335 Piney Point Rd.
- Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart at 10202 Memorial Dr.
- The Monarch School at 2815 Rosefield Dr.
- The Parish School at 11001 Hammerly Blvd.
To find an updated listing of all Memorial real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Memorial Houston real estate have posted steady appreciation rates over the past decade. Recent trends in the area, including new development, has pushed home prices up.
Over the past ten years, the median price of Memorial homes for sale have increased by 92%. The average price per square foot, on the other hand, has increased by over half (56%).
Since the area spans a large number of different neighborhoods, it is tough to gauge the Memorial real estate market. Looking at a specific neighborhood, as well as consulting the best Memorial Houston realtor, will provide better insight into the area’s real estate market.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Memorial real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Memorial is still mostly made up of single-family homes on mid- to large-size lots. Thanks to the large number of neighborhoods and subdivisions in the area, there are a lot of home styles, sizes, and floor plans from which to choose.
Some of the area’s original ranch-style and traditional homes generally offer smaller living spaces compared to new construction 2-story Memorial homes. Home sizes vary, ranging from 1,400 to more than 6,000 square feet.
As mentioned, Memorial homes for sale typically offer spacious lots, with sizes ranging from 3,000 to more than 20,000 square feet.
Thanks to new residential and commercial development in the area, a number of Memorial townhomes are available for sale.
Some of the area’s townhomes date back to the early 70s and 80s. These properties are typically smaller, with lot sizes ranging from 1,000 to more than 2,500 square feet. Two- to three-bedroom floor plans on two- to three-stories are common.
Living spaces can be between 1,000 to 2,500 square feet.
Memorial Houston townhomes for sale are generally priced between $100,000 to over $1 million. Luxury townhomes in the area are bigger and newer, and therefore tend to sell for higher prices.
Some townhome communities in Memorial Houston include:
- Village on Memorial
- Brittwood Townhome
- London Townhomes
- Memorial Club Townhouses
- Somerset Place
- West Bayou Oaks
Despite the number of developments in the area, there aren’t a lot of Memorial Houston condos for sale. There are however, several condo units available in surrounding areas, notably in the Galleria/Uptown area.
Condos in Memorial Houston include:
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in Memorial Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Memorial, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Memorial TX realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate at Paige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.