Memorial Park Houston Neighborhood Guide
Covering a lush 1,500-acre area just 4 miles west of Downtown Houston, Memorial Park offers a rich mix of history and nature.
Memorial Park real estate have become popular for a number of reasons, including the neighborhood’s central location, variety of home options, and high accessibility.
- VARIETY OF HOUSING OPTIONS: Memorial Park real estate include a wide variety of home types, including beautiful mansions, upscale townhomes, patio homes, and ranch-style homes. Condo and loft units are also available in the area.
- CENTRAL LOCATION: The park and its surrounding neighborhoods are nestled in the area south of Katy Freeway, east of Loop 610, and north of the Buffalo Bayou.
- HIGHLY ACCESSIBLE: Main Houston roads like Memorial Drive, Washington Avenue, and Woodway Drive connect the park to key districts like the Galleria, River Oaks, and Downtown.
- PLENTY OF OUTDOOR ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS: Previously a WWI-era training camp, Memorial Park is now home to a wide range of outdoor activity areas and facilities, miles of multi-use trails, and a top-rated municipal golf course.
- GREAT COMMUNITY VIBE: The Camp Logan, Glen Cove and Crestwood neighborhoods have deed restrictions in place and have each maintained a quiet residential atmosphere.
For any inquiries about Memorial Park homes recommendations, or off-market MLS listings, get in touch with Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com and one of the best realtors in Houston.
Memorial Park Resources (Popular Topics)
- All Memorial Park Homes For Sale
- Rice Military Homes For Sale
- Camp Logan Homes For Sale
- Crestwood / Glen Cove Homes For Sale
Houston Memorial Park Neighborhood Profile
- 12 Things Memorial Park Real Estate Buyers Should Know
- Memorial Park maps and location
- Fun things to do in Memorial Park
- Neighborhoods near Memorial Park
- Memorial Park History
- Memorial Park Schools
Memorial Park Real Estate Guide
- Memorial Park real estate trends
- Single-family home sale trends
- Townhome sale trends
- Condo sale trends
One of the three largest urban parks in Houston, Memorial Park is a lush oasis within the Inner Loop.
- Memorial Park real estate include a wide variety of home types, including beautiful mansions, upscale townhomes, and patio and ranch-style homes. Condo and loft units are also available in the area.
- The park and its surrounding neighborhoods are located about 4 miles west of Downtown Houston, nestled in the area south of Katy Freeway, east of Loop 610, and north of the Buffalo Bayou.
- Main Houston roads like Memorial Drive, Washington Avenue, and Woodway Drive connect the park to key districts.
- Previously a WWI-era training camp, Memorial Park is now home to a wide range of outdoor activity areas and facilities, miles of multi-use trails, and a top-rated municipal golf course.
- The Camp Logan, Glen Cove and Crestwood neighborhoods have deed restrictions in place and have each maintained a quiet residential atmosphere.
- Memorial Park homes are some of the most expensive real estate in Houston.
- During the 1990s and early 2000s, some Memorial Park homes were torn down in favor of custom-built homes and townhomes.
- Multi-level living has become quite popular in the area, especially in Camp Logan and Rice Military.
- Residential condos are also available, though aren’t as popular as in areas like River Oaks and the Galleria.
- Memorial Park homes for sale feature 2- to 4-bedroom floor plans. The most expensive can feature as many as 5 to 6 bedrooms.
- Lot sizes in the area range between 1,500 to more than 40,000 square feet.
- Prices for Memorial Park homes for sale can start at around $300,000 and can go up to more than $1,500,000.
Memorial Park is nestled in the area west of Loop 610, south of I-10, and north of the Buffalo Bayou.
Located about 4 miles west of Downtown Houston, the park itself covers a vast 1,500-acre area. Memorial Park and its surrounding neighborhoods (Camp Logan, Crestwood, Glen Cove) are usually grouped together with Rice Military and the subdivisions around Washington Avenue.
Memorial Park homes are located within the Inner Loop, and enjoy almost direct access to main roads like Memorial Drive, Washington Avenue, Katy Freeway (I-10), and Loop 610. Key Houston districts like the Galleria and downtown are highly accessible from Memorial Park.
Memorial Park offers numerous outdoor activity facilities and miles of trails, and is minutes away from retail, dining, and entertainment hotspots.
Memorial Park is under the 77007 Harris County zip code.
Zip codes near Memorial Park Houston include 77006, 77019, 77027, and 77008.
Memorial Park’s central location within the Inner Loop gives residents easy access to some of Houston’s best hot spots: the Galleria and Uptown Park, Downtown, and the Museum District. The park itself is a “must visit,” with its wide variety of outdoor and indoor activity areas.
The 1,500-acre Memorial Park is lined with hike-and-bike trails, snaking around and through the park’s many wooded areas. The Seymour Lieberman Exercise Trail, a 3-mile running course of crushed granite, is highly popular among joggers.
The John Bredemus-designed Memorial Park Golf Course is a highly rated municipal golf course with a course rating of 73 and a slope rating of 122. It was founded in 1936, and was among the earliest courses in Houston.
The Houston Arboretum and Nature Center, on the other hand, opened in 1967. Covering about 150 acres in the southwest corner of the park, the center provides educational facilities for children.
Houston’s Memorial Park has something for everyone. In addition to its multi-use trails, the park also has facilities for swimming, tennis, cycling, volleyball, softball, skating, and croquet. There are plenty of picnic and open areas within Memorial Park as well.
Here are some of Memorial Park Houston must-visit places:
- Backstreet Cafe
- Tiny Boxwoods
- Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse
- Americas River Oaks
- Pappa Bros Steakhouse
- Eddie V’s Prime Seafood and Steakhouse
- Etro Lounge
- The Cellar Bar
- UROPA Nightclub
- The Flat
- Blue at Brenner’s
- Foundation Room
- Big Star Bar
- Poison Girl
- The Davenport
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- Whole Foods
- Central Market
Within Memorial Park
- Memorial Park Golf Course
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Park
- Memorial Park Picnic Trail
- Seymour Lieberman Exercise Trail
Neighborhoods near Memorial Park include:
- Camp Logan
- Crestwood/Glen Cove
- Cottage Grove
- Rice Military
- River Oaks
- Briar Hollow
- Memorial Villages
Memorial Park and most of its surrounding neighborhoods used to be a part of Camp Logan, a World War I boot camp.
Camp John A. Logan was commissioned shortly after the United States declared war with Germany. Constructed between 1917 and 1918, the camp trained more than 30,000 soldiers for service, and was later convered into a military hospital and golf course.
Decommissioned shortly thereafter, the land was sold back to the city of Houston. Memorial Park opened in 1924.
Today, Memorial Park covers about 1,500 acres and is one of the three largest urban parks in Houston (alongside Hermann Park and MacGregor Park). Lined with miles of trails and several forested areas, the park features several outdoor and indoor sights and activity areas.
Memorial Park homes enjoy having easy access to these facilities, and a relatively central location within the Inner Loop.
Memorial Park homes are zoned to Houston Independent School District (HISD) and students in the area can attend the following public schools:
- Memorial Elementary School at 6401 Arnot St. Memorial Elementary is located across the historical marker commemorating Camp Logan, just north of the Crestwood/Glen Cove neighborhood. The school was founded in the mid-1920s and now offers a dual language program.
- Hogg Middle School at 1100 Merrill St. One of the Houston ISD’s IB World Schools, the James Hogg Middle School features advanced subjects in AP (Advanced Placement) Spanish, Pre-AP core classes, and algebra, among others. The school also offers the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) and a number of electives.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Like Hogg, Lamar High School is also an IB World School. It serves the IB Diploma Programme, as well as neighborhood magnet and AP programs. As a business magnet school, Lamar also provides several courses in business management. Apart from its excellent academic programs, Lamar is also known for its exemplary athletics and is home to the Lamar Texans.
Memorial Park Houston Private Schools
The following are some of the more notable private schools near Memorial Park.
- St. Theresa Catholic School at 6623 Rodrigo St.
- St. Thomas High School at 4500 Memorial Dr.
- River Oaks Baptist School at 2300 Willowick Rd.
- The Kipling School at 620 Shepherd Dr.
To find an updated listing of all Memorial Park real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Memorial Park real estate include some of the most expensive in Houston. Crestwood and Glen Cove, deed restricted residential enclaves directly east of the park, have median sales prices of over $1,500,000. Camp Logan homes are slightly more affordable, with a median sales price of around $700,000.
Among the neighborhoods nestled east of Memorial Park, Rice Military offers the most affordable real estate with the median sales price at about $400,000.
With new development and steady appreciation, property prices in those areas are expected to rise even further.
Memorial Park real estate remain highly popular, thanks to their easy access to park amenities and key Houston neighborhoods.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Memorial Park real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Memorial Park single-family homes are among the most expensive real estate in Houston, especially those within the Glen Cove/Crestwood neighborhood.
These upscale subdivisions feature grand mansions and estate-style homes in a variety of styles and designs. Mediterranean, traditional and French architecture are common in the area. Glen Cove and Crestwood homes typically sit on mid- to large sized lots, ranging from 7,000 to more than 40,000 square feet.
Camp Logan homes, on the other hand, offer slightly smaller lot areas, between 2,000 to 7,000 square feet. The neighborhood offers a mix of traditional ranch-style homes, patio homes, and multi-level townhomes.
During the 1990s and early 2000s, the trend of tearing down old homes in favor of building new ones took to the Memorial Park area. Older single-family homes were converted into luxury townhomes and custom-built estates.
Overall, Memorial Park homes pricing depend on a number of factors, including location, size, and age of the property, among others.
Multi-level living has become quite popular in the neighborhoods surrounding Memorial Park, especially Camp Logan and Rice Military. The trend of tearing down older homes in favor of more modern housing has led to a number of townhome developments in the area.
Houston Memorial Park townhomes typically feature two- to three-story floor plans with two to three bedrooms. Home sizes range from to more than 3,000 square feet. Lot sizes are typically small, between 1,000 to about 2,500.
A number of townhomes in the area are within exclusive gated communities, including the residential enclave Caceres in Rice Military. Most townhomes in the Memorial Park area are recently constructed, typically between the late 1990s and early 2000s).
Memorial Park townhomes for sale vary widely, and prices depend on several factors, including location, size, and age of the property.
Compared to other Houston neighborhoods like the Galleria, Museum District, and Downtown, the Memorial Park area features fewer residential mid-rise and high rise condos. Memorial Park condos for sale are within:
- Bayou Bend Towers – Built in 1981, Bayou Bend Towers is a condominium complex made up of three 22-story full-service residential buildings. Floor plans are between 1,300 to more than 5,500 square feet.
- 6007 Memorial – Also known as Memorial Cove Lofts, 6007 Memorial opened its doors in 2001. The residential mid-rise features one- to three-bedroom floor plans, with living spaces ranging from 1,500 to 2,800 square feet.
- Jackson Place Condominiums – Located in 505 Jackson Hill, Jackson Place Condominiums is a 4-story residential building. Built in the mid-2000s, it features 52 units and two floor plans (1,505- and 1,508-square foot).
- The Studemont – The Studemont is one of the newest midrise condos in the Inner Loop. With 30 units spread across three stories, the building features one- and two-bedroom floor plans. Studemont condos for sale can offer 700 to 1,100 square feet of living space.
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in Memorial Park Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Memorial Park, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Memorial Park Houston realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate at Paige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.