Rice Military Houston Neighborhood Guide
Made up of more than 5,000 homes, Rice Military is a quaint neighborhood located just outside the Loop.
Rice Military homes are highly desirable due to the neighborhood’s:
- QUIET SUBURBAN FEEL: Rice Military real estate has remained popular over the years due to several factors, including the neighborhood’s location, large lots, and relatively affordable home prices.
- GREAT LOCATION: The neighborhood is just north of Loop 610 and east of US 290. Rice Military homes have convenient access to main arteries like TC Jester Blvd, N Shepherd Dr, Katy Fwy, and North Fwy.
- EXCELLENT ACCESSIBILITY: Homes in the area enjoy convenient access to schools, stores, restaurants, entertainment centers, and parks. Business and employment hubs in the Galleria and Rice Military are easily accessible from the neighborhood.
- BEAUTIFUL HOMES: Rice Military is one of Houston’s older neighborhoods. It features updated and renovated ranch-style homes from the 1940s and 1950s, as well as new construction homes.
- STRONG HOUSING MARKET: The median sales price of Rice Military homes posted a 131% positive change over 10 years (from 2005 to 2014).
Apart from relatively easy commutes and the neighborhood’s quiet suburban feel, Rice Military’s schools are also a great draw for homebuyers. Recent changes, including a trend in tearing down older homes for newer and bigger homes, has made the neighborhood’s market a bit tricky to navigate.
For any inquiries about Rice Military homes recommendations, or off-market MLS listings, get in touch with Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com and one of the best realtors in Houston.
Rice Military Resources (Popular Topics)
- All Rice Military Homes For Sale
- Rice Military Townhomes for Sale
- Rice Military Patio Homes for Sale
- Rice Military Condos for Sale
Houston Rice Military Neighborhood Profile
- 12 Things Rice Military Real Estate Buyers Should Know
- Rice Military maps and location
- Fun things to do in Rice Military
- Neighborhoods near Rice Military
- Rice Military History
- Rice Military Schools
Rice Military Real Estate Guide
- Rice Military real estate trends
- Single-family home sale trends
- Townhome sale trends
- Condo sale trends
Made up of 18 smaller communities called sections, Rice Military is one of the largest groups of subdivisions in Harris County, behind Sharpstown and Kingwood.
- Rice Military real estate has remained popular over the years due to several factors, including the neighborhood’s location, large lots, and relatively affordable home prices.
- The neighborhood is just north of Loop 610 and east of US 290. Rice Military homes have convenient access to main arteries like TC Jester Blvd, N Shepherd Dr, Katy Fwy, and North Fwy.
- Homes in the area enjoy convenient access to schools, stores, restaurants, entertainment centers, and parks. Business and employment hubs in the Galleria and Rice Military are easily accessible from the neighborhood.
- Rice Military is one of Houston’s older neighborhoods. It features updated and renovated ranch-style homes from the 1940s and 1950s, as well as new construction homes.
- The median sales price of Rice Military homes posted a 131% positive change over 10 years (from 2005 to 2014).
- Average price per square foot also posted a similar increase (100%) over the same period.
- Homes in Rice Military tend to sell well, as the number of homes sold has increased by 39% in the past decade.
- Some of the neighborhood’s original homes have since been replaced with larger, newer homes.
- The neighborhood has maintained most of its quiet suburban feel – thanks to its homeowners association and its deed restrictions.
- Older Rice Military home sizes range between 1,200 to 1,300 square feet, while new construction homes in the area can offer 3,000 to more than 5,000 square feet.
- Homes in the area typically sit on large lots (by Houston standards). Lot sizes can range between 7,000 to more than 10,000 square feet.
- Prices for Rice Military homes for sale can start at around $150,000 and can go up to more than $800,000.
Located about 4 miles west of Downtown Houston, Rice Military is nestled in the area east of Memorial Park.
The neighborhood has Camp Logan and Glen Cove/Crestwood to the west, Cottage Grove and the Houston Heights to the north, and River Oaks and Montrose/Neartown to the south.
The Rice Military subdivision is bounded by Westcott Street on the west, Shepherd Drive on the east, Washington Avenue on the north, and Buffalo Bayou on the south.
Surrounding subdivisions and neighborhoods are often lumped together with Rice Military. The bigger area commonly referred to as Rice Military/Washington Avenue or Washington Corridor stretches south of I-10 (Katy Freeway), east of Washington and Westcott, north of the Buffalo Bayou, and west of Sawyer Street.
Today Rice Military features older, renovated homes and new construction properties ranging between $300,000 to well over $1,000,000 in price.
Rice Military is under the 77007 Harris County zip code.
Zip codes near Rice Military Houston include 77091, 77076, 77055, and 77008. (View Houston zip code map.)
Rice Military is minutes from major Houston hotspots like the Galleria and Downtown, but the neighborhood does feature parks, restaurants, cafes, and retail and commercial establishments within its borders.
The neighborhood has 4 parks: Candlelight Community Center and Park, Rice Military Park, T.C. Jester Park, and American Legion Park.
Candlelight Park at 1520 Candlelight features an indoor gym, a lighted sportsfield, a playground, and a hike-and-bike trail. T.C. Jester Park, on the other hand, features a swimming pool, a dog park, a disc golf course, and hike-and-bike trails.
There are a number of burger joints, ice houses, and restaurants in the area, though residents may want to take the drive into town for more options.
Here are some of Rice Military Houston must-visit places:
- Hicks House Cajun Cafe
- Fiesta Tacos
- Petrol Station
- Houston Panini & Provisions
- House of Fries
- Biskit Junkie
- Little Bitty Burger Barn
- El Ray Taqueria
- Plonk! Beer & Wine Bistro
- Wakefield CrowBar
- The Rice Military Chill Neighborhood Icehouse
- Catty Corner Ice House
- Food Town
- Family Dollar
- American Legion Park
- Rice Military Park
- T.C. Jester Park
- Candlelight Community Center & Park
Neighborhoods near Rice Military include:
Once a rural community, Rice Military draws its name from its history.
Camp Logan, a World War I-era boot camp, used to occupy most of what is now Memorial Park and its surrounding areas. The land near Camp Logan was then owned by the prominent Rice family and the Howe family. Businessman William Marsh Rice is best known for leaving his fortune to the founding of Rice University.
In 1910, Bankers Trust Co. bought both tracts and subdivided the 155.5-acre plot. The development came to be known as the Rice Military Subdivision.
Rice Military covered the area south of Washington Avenue, north of Memorial Drive, west of Shepherd Drive, and east of Westcott Street. The neighborhood features around 400 homes.
Today, surrounding subdivisions are also referred to as Rice Military, including areas south of I-10 (Katy Freeway), north of the Buffalo Bayou, and east of Memorial Park, Glen Cove/Crestwood, and Camp Logan. The large area is also known as Rice Military/Washington Corridor.
Rice Military real estate used to be made up of bungalows and shotgun houses (small rectagular homes with rooms directly behind another). During the 1990s and 2000s, artists and young professionals took notice of the neighborhood. This influx of demand changed the face of Rice Military, and turned it into a hip mixed-use neighborhood.
Housing options in the area have since expanded to single-family homes, multi-level townhomes, and condominiums.
Rice Military homes are zoned to Houston Independent School District (HISD) and students in the area can attend the following public schools:
- Memorial Elementary School at 6401 Arnot St. Nestled between Camp Logan and Crestwood, Memorial Elementary School has been serving the area since 1926. The Vanguard neighborhood school offers programs like English as a Second Language, Dual Language, and Preparing Students for Independence (PSI).
- Hogg Middle School at 1100 Merrill St. As one of the HISD’s IB World Schools, Hogg offers the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP). The school also features a STEM Academy magnet program.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Well-known in the Greater Houston area for its excellent athletics programs, Lamar is an IB World School and a business administration magnet school. It boasts of having the largest number of IB Diploma graduates in the state.
Rice Military Houston Private Schools
The following are some of the more notable private schools near Rice Military.
- St. Thomas High School at 4500 Memorial Dr.
- St. Theresa School at 6623 Rodrigo St.
- The Kipling School at 620 Shepherd Dr.
- River Oaks Baptist School at 2300 Willowick Rd.
To find an updated listing of all Rice Military real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Rice Military real estate vary from traditional bungalows and patio homes to more modern single-family and townhomes. Units in mid-rise residential condos have also become popular in the area.
Property values have steadily appreciated over the last 10 years.
Rice Military homes for sale are prized for their high accessibility, great location, affordable prices, and wide variety of housing options.
The neighborhood’s continuing popularity has lead to more development in the area, pushing prices up further. Despite this, however, Rice Military continues to offer some of the most affordable real estate within the central Inner Loop area.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Rice Military real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Rice Military homes are mostly new construction single-family properties with a neighborhood value range of $268,000 to $437,000. The average home size is 2,372 square feet with the average number of bedrooms and baths at 2.81 and 2.35 respectively.
Rice Military single-family homes are among the best selling real estate in Houston. The number of homes sold more than doubled between 2003 to 2012.
Last year’s home sales also jumped 142% – one of the highest in Houston.
Most of the homes in Rice Military were built in the 1950s. Much like other neighborhoods near or within Houston’s Inner Loop, Rice Military went through a shift in home architecture during the 1990s to early 2000.
Many Downtown Houston professions started buying old properties 10 years ago. They proceeded to either renovate homes or demolish them in favor of more modern housing. Developers have also started large-scale housing projects focused on new construction homes.
Rice Military remains one of the few Inner Loop Houston neighborhoods with homes available in the $300,000 – $500,000 price point. Young professionals and empty nesters put a high premium to its close proximity to Houston hubs such as Downtown Houston, Galleria, and Museum District.
Median lot size of Rice Military homes is at 2,500 square feet. The medium-size lots best fit townhomes development.
Many developers have purchased lots in Rice Military and begun construction on new townhomes. The most common Rice Military townhomes for sale are in the $280,000 to $500,000 range. Townhomes prices depend on the property’s lot size, style, and exact location.
Biggest difference between townhomes and single-family homes is that townhomes share a wall with one or more neighbors. However, similar with single-family homes, you still own the dirt from the center of earth to infinity.
Houston townhomes have become very popular as a cost-effective alternative to single-family homes or condominiums.
Residential mid- and highrises are commonly found in the main Houston districts of Downtown Houston, River Oaks and Galleria. All three neighborhoods are about 10-15 minutes from the Rice Military neighborhood.
- Commerce Towers
- Four Seasons Residence
- Bayou Lofts
- Franklin Lofts
- Hermann Lofts
- St Germain Lofts
- Rise Lofts
- The Edge
- Villa D’Este
- Four Leaf Towers
- The Mark
- The Empire
- The Manhattan
- Lofts at Post Oak
Rice Military is also right next to Memorial Park. Memorial Park condos include:
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in Rice Military Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Rice Military, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Rice Military Houston realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate at Paige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.