Rice Military Houston Neighborhood Guide
Located a couple of miles west of Downtown Houston, Rice Military is one of the Bayou City’s most accessible neighborhoods.
The neighborhood’s appeal stems from its great location within the Inner Loop, along with its relatively more affordable homes.
Rice Military homes are in high demand due to:
- PROXIMITY TO KEY DISTRICTS: Rice Military real estate has continued to be popular due to the neighborhood’s proximity to key Houston districts like Downtown, Memorial Park, and the Galleria.
- GREAT LOCATION: The Rice Military/Washington Avenue area is south of I-10, west of Sawyer Street, north of Memorial Drive and Buffalo Bayou, and east of Westcott Street.
- EXCELLENT ACCESSIBILITY: Rice Military homes have easy access to restaurants, parks, schools, and bars. Employment centers and entertainment hotspots are also within minutes of the neighborhood.
- WIDE VARIETY OF HOMES: The neighborhood offers a wide variety of home options, ranging from patio homes, single-family homes, and new construction townhomes. Condos in mid-rise residential buildings are also available in the area.
- AFFORDABLE REAL ESTATE: Rice Military real estate have steadily appreciated over the last 10 years, though homes in the area are still some of the most affordable in the Inner Loop.
For any inquiries about Rice Military homes recommendations, or off-market MLS listings, get in touch with Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com and one of the best realtors in Houston.
Rice Military Resources (Popular Topics)
- All Rice Military Homes For Sale
- Most Expensive Rice Military Homes For Sale
- Rice Military Homes Under $500K
- Rice Military Townhomes For Sale
- Five Key Rice Military Real Estate Trends
Houston Rice Military Neighborhood Profile
- 12 Things Rice Military Real Estate Buyers Should Know
- Rice Military maps and location
- Fun things to do in Rice Military
- Neighborhoods near Rice Military
- Rice Military History
- Rice Military Schools
Rice Military Real Estate Guide
Located in the area between Memorial Park and Downtown Houston, Rice Military features more than 1,500 homes.
- Rice Military real estate has continued to be popular due to the neighborhood’s proximity to key Houston districts like Downtown, Memorial Park, and the Galleria.
- The Rice Military/Washington Avenue area is south of I-10, west of Sawyer Street, north of Memorial Drive and Buffalo Bayou, and east of Westcott Street.
- Rice Military homes have easy access to restaurants, parks, schools, and bars. Employment centers and entertainment hotspots are also within minutes of the neighborhood.
- The neighborhood offers a wide variety of home options, ranging from patio homes, single-family homes, and new construction townhomes. Condos in mid-rise residential buildings are also available in the area.
- Rice Military real estate have steadily appreciated over the last 10 years.
- Rice Military homes are relatively more affordable than properties in adjacent neighborhoods.
- The neighborhood used to be made up mostly of small single-family homes and shotgun houses.
- Like most Inner Loop neighborhoods, Rice Military underwent a shift during the 1990s and early 2000s.
- Many of the area’s older homes were renovated or torn down to make way for townhome developments and new construction custom built homes.
- Rice Military homes typically feature 3-bedroom floor plans, with home sizes between 2,000 to more than 3,500 square feet.
- Lot sizes in the area can range from 1,000 to more than 3,000 square feet.
- Prices for Rice Military homes for sale can start at around $300,000 and can go up to more than $1,000,000.
Located about 4 miles west of Downtown Houston, Rice Military is nestled in the area east of Memorial Park.
The neighborhood has Camp Logan and Glen Cove/Crestwood to the west, Cottage Grove and the Houston Heights to the north, and River Oaks and Montrose/Neartown to the south.
The Rice Military subdivision is bounded by Westcott Street on the west, Shepherd Drive on the east, Washington Avenue on the north, and Buffalo Bayou on the south.
Surrounding subdivisions and neighborhoods are often lumped together with Rice Military. The bigger area commonly referred to as Rice Military/Washington Avenue or Washington Corridor stretches south of I-10 (Katy Freeway), east of Washington and Westcott, north of the Buffalo Bayou, and west of Sawyer Street.
Rice Military is one of the most accessible Houston neighborhoods. Rice Military homes are centrally located within the Inner Loop and have convenient access to main roads.
Rice Military is under the 77007 Harris County zip code.
Zip codes near Rice Military Houston include 77019, 77027, 77024, 77002, 77009, and 77008. (View Houston zip code map.)
Rice Military homes are mere minutes away from a number of entertainment, dining, and retail options. Having a large urban park practically next door also has its perks.
The Washington Corridor, stretching from Memorial Park to the Downtown area, is lined with a wide variety of wine lounges, upscale restaurants, bars, and cafes. The resurgence of the corridor also sparked residential development in the area.
Memorial Park is a few blocks away from Rice Military homes. The 1,500-acre park features miles of hike-and-bike trails, a municipal golf course, picnic areas, and facilities for sports.
Here are some of Rice Military Houston must-visit places:
- Bourbon & Bacon
- Coco’s Tex-Mex Grill
- Velvet Taco
- BRC Gastropub
- Piada Italian Street Food
- Kurbside Eatz
- Ula’s Mexican Restaurant & Cantina
- Federal American Grill
- Black Walnut Cafe
- Kung Fu Saloon
- Luke’s Icehouse
- Little Woodrow’s on Shepherd
- Little J’s Bar
- Taps House of Beer
- Lincoln Bar and Kitchen
- Fuego’s Saloon
- Federal American Grill
- El Tiempo Market
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- Whole Foods Market
- Memorial Park
- Buffalo Bayou Park
- Spotts Park
- Cleveland Park
- Sandy Reed Memorial Trail
- Nellie Keyes Park
Neighborhoods near Rice Military include:
Once a rural community, Rice Military draws its name from its history.
Camp Logan, a World War I-era boot camp, used to occupy most of what is now Memorial Park and its surrounding areas. The land near Camp Logan was then owned by the prominent Rice family and the Howe family. Businessman William Marsh Rice is best known for leaving his fortune to the founding of Rice University.
In 1910, Bankers Trust Co. bought both tracts and subdivided the 155.5-acre plot. The development came to be known as the Rice Military Subdivision.
Rice Military covered the area south of Washington Avenue, north of Memorial Drive, west of Shepherd Drive, and east of Westcott Street. The neighborhood features around 400 homes.
Today, surrounding subdivisions are also referred to as Rice Military, including areas south of I-10 (Katy Freeway), north of the Buffalo Bayou, and east of Memorial Park, Glen Cove/Crestwood, and Camp Logan. The large area is also known as Rice Military/Washington Corridor.
Rice Military real estate used to be made up of bungalows and shotgun houses (small rectagular homes with rooms directly behind another). During the 1990s and 2000s, artists and young professionals took notice of the neighborhood. This influx of demand changed the face of Rice Military, and turned it into a hip mixed-use neighborhood.
Housing options in the area have since expanded to single-family homes, multi-level townhomes, and condominiums.
Rice Military homes are zoned to Houston Independent School District (HISD) and students in the area can attend the following public schools:
- Memorial Elementary School at 6401 Arnot St. Nestled between Camp Logan and Crestwood, Memorial Elementary School has been serving the area since 1926. The Vanguard neighborhood school offers programs like English as a Second Language, Dual Language, and Preparing Students for Independence (PSI).
- Hogg Middle School at 1100 Merrill St. As one of the HISD’s IB World Schools, Hogg offers the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP). The school also features a STEM Academy magnet program.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Well-known in the Greater Houston area for its excellent athletics programs, Lamar is an IB World School and a business administration magnet school. It boasts of having the largest number of IB Diploma graduates in the state.
Rice Military Houston Private Schools
The following are some of the more notable private schools near Rice Military.
- St. Thomas High School at 4500 Memorial Dr.
- St. Theresa School at 6623 Rodrigo St.
- The Kipling School at 620 Shepherd Dr.
- River Oaks Baptist School at 2300 Willowick Rd.
To find an updated listing of all Rice Military real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Rice Military real estate vary from traditional bungalows and patio homes to more modern single-family and townhomes. Units in mid-rise residential condos have also become popular in the area.
Property values have steadily appreciated over the last 10 years.
Rice Military homes for sale are prized for their high accessibility, great location, affordable prices, and wide variety of housing options.
The neighborhood’s continuing popularity has lead to more development in the area, pushing prices up further. Despite this, however, Rice Military continues to offer some of the most affordable real estate within the central Inner Loop area.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Rice Military real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Rice Military real estate are mostly new construction single-family properties.
Like most Houston neighborhoods, Rice Military underwent a shift in housing in the 1990s and 2000s. During the period, many professionals working in Downtown started buying old properties in the area and opting to renovate or tear down.
Thanks to growing demand, developers also took notice and converted a number of the neighborhood’s older properties with newer townhomes.
Rice Military homes typically feature 3-bedroom floor plans, spread over 2,000 to more than 3,600 square feet of living space. The most expensive Rice Military homes can offer 4 to 5 bedrooms. Homes in the area usually sit on small to mid-sized lots, ranging from 1,000 to 3,000 square feet.
Like Camp Logan and a number of other Inner Loop neighborhoods, townhomes are on the rise in Rice Military.
Many developers have purchased lots in Rice Military and begun construction on new townhomes. The most common Rice Military townhomes for sale are in the $280,000 to $500,000 range. Townhome prices depend on the property’s lot size, style, and exact location.
Biggest difference between townhomes and single-family homes is that townhomes share a wall with one or more neighbors. However, similar with single-family homes, you still own the dirt from the center of earth to infinity.
Some Rice Military townhomes are located within private gated communities, the most notable of which is Caceres. Townhomes in the area can feature 2 to 4 stories, with 3- to 5-bedroom floor plans.
Rice Military condos are usually within residential mid-rises like The Studemont and Jackson Place. More condos are available in neighboring districts like Downtown Houston, River Oaks and Galleria. All three neighborhoods are about 10-15 minutes from the Rice Military neighborhood.
- Commerce Towers
- Four Seasons Residence
- Bayou Lofts
- Franklin Lofts
- Hermann Lofts
- St Germain Lofts
- Rise Lofts
- The Edge
Rice Military is also right next to Memorial Park. Memorial Park condos include:
To see other condos within the Inner Loop, see Inner Loop Houston Condos.
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in Rice Military Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Rice Military, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Rice Military Houston realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate at Paige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.