River Oaks Houston Homebuyers Guide
As Houston’s poshest neighborhood, River Oaks has some of the most expensive real estate in the area.
River Oaks homes are among the most desirable in the Bayou City, due to the neighborhood’s great location, proximity to key retail and entertainment areas, and high accessibility.
- CENTRALLY LOCATED: River Oaks real estate enjoy a relatively central location, minutes away from Downtown. Other key districts like Greenway/Upper Kirby and the Texas Medical Center are also within a short drive away.
- PLENTY OF RETAIL AND ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS: River Oaks homes are mere minutes away from the hundreds of upscale boutiques and restaurants in the Galleria. The River Oaks Shopping Center, Rice Village, and Highland Village are also nearby.
- TREE-LINED STREETS AND BEAUTIFUL HOMES: The peaceful residential enclave is one of Houston’s older and more established communities. Its winding streets are lined with grand estates, traditional homes from the 20s and 30s, upscale condos on luxury highrises, and townhomes within gated communities.
- EASY ACCESSIBILITY: Several main roads – including San Felipe Street, Westheimer Road, Kirby Drive, and Shepherd Drive – go through the neighborhood, providing residents with easy access to key districts.
- GREAT SCHOOLS: River Oaks homes are zoned to some of the Houston ISD’s highly regarded schools, including River Oaks Elementary School and Lamar High School.
Contact Paige Martin, a top-ranked Houston realtor and Owner of HoustonProperties.com for questions and advice about River Oaks homes for sale.
River Oaks Houston Resources:
- River Oaks Neighborhood Guide
- Most Expensive River Oaks Homes For Sale
- River Oaks Homes Under $500K
- River Oaks Townhomes For Sale
- Five Key River Oaks Real Estate Trends
- Houston Neighborhoods Guide
For more information on available River Oaks homes for sale call Paige Martin at 713-384-5177 or email Paige@HoustonProperties.com
Neighborhood Guide: River Oaks Houston
River Oaks is nestled in the area south of Memorial Park/Rice Military, north of Upper Kirby, east of Galleria/Uptown, and west of Montrose. It follows the contours of the Buffalo Bayou, stretching south to Westheimer Road.
Thanks to the neighborhood’s great location, River Oaks homes have convenient access to key Houston districts like Downtown Houston, the Galleria, and the Texas Medical Center.
Retail and entertainment are also mere minutes away. The River Oaks Shopping Center, Uptown Park, the Galleria, Highland Village, and Rice Village are all within driving distance from River Oaks.
River Oaks homes are zoned to the Houston Independent School District (HISD). Multi-award winning schools like River Oaks Elementary School, Lanier Middle School, and Lamar High School serve the neighborhood.
One of Houston’s older neighborhoods, River Oaks was developed by the brothers Mike and Will Hogg, along with their business partner Hugh Potter. They bought 200 acres of land around the River Oaks Country Club and established what is now Houston’s most prestigious and most expensive neighborhood.
Following its annexation in 1927, the neighborhood continued to grow and now features luxury condos, grand estates and mansions, and townhomes in gated communities.
River Oaks is under the 77019 Harris County zip codes.
Zip codes near River Oaks Houston include 77046, 77056, 77098, 77005, and 77401. (View Houston zip code map.)
Fun Things To Do In And Around River Oaks
Aside from the elegant houses that line River Oaks’ streets, much of the community’s beauty comes from the abundance of verdant elements in the area.
River Oaks exudes an old world charm, with its scenic tree-lined streets coupled with intricate landscaping that lead to pocket gardens. There are plenty of parks and green spaces within and around the neighborhood, including the River Oaks Park and the River Oaks Community Center.
River Oaks Park features the Cinderella-inspired Pumpkin Carriage, a playground, lighted tennis courts, and a lighted sports field. A quarter-mile off-road trail is also available in the area.
Olympia Park, Sleepy Hollow Park, Meyer Park, Elliott Park, and Homewood Park are also within the neighborhood. River Oaks homes are minutes away from Memorial Park, home to a wide variety of indoor and outdoor recreational facilities, Memorial Park Golf Course, and the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center.
Retail, dining, and entertainment venues are not in short supply either. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, boutiques, and art galleries in the River Oaks Shopping Center and West Ave complexes.
The River Oaks District will open shortly, and will offer an artful ambiance of posh social venues and private tree-lined streets.
Highland Village, the Greenway Plaze, Rice Village, the Galleria, and Uptown Park are also within minutes of River Oaks homes.
Here are some must-visit places in and around River Oaks.
- The Oak Bar – The Oak Bar has DJs spinning most nights as regulars dance around while sipping cocktails.
- 1919 Wine & Mixology – 1919 Wine & Mixology offers a hybrid of wine and specially-curated cocktails.
- The Railyard – The Railyard sets itself apart from other neighborhood bars by offering cheap beer and a laid-back attitude.
- Downing Street – Downing Street is a cigar-bar themed pub that offers incredible whiskeys and various martinis.
- Red Lion Pub – The Red Lion is a British Pub that offers a huge selection of beer and cider along with delicious pub food.
- River Oaks Bookstore – A venue for book signings and photography exhibits, The River Oaks Bookstore has been in the neighborhood for over 40 years.
- The River Oaks Shopping Center at West Gray and S.Shepherd has 76 stores, 14 restaurants, a theater, and a grocery store.
- Antique Pavilion – An upscale multi dealer shop that houses an inventory of authentic antiques, fine accessories, and a vast assortment of collectibles.
- Buffalo Bayou Park – This 124-acre park offers kayaking, canoeing, jogging trails, biking trails, hiking trails, a skate park, a disc golf course, and a dog park.
- The River Oaks Country Club is located at 1600 River Oaks Boulevard. It hosts the annual River Oaks International Tournament, among other golf tournaments.
- The Downtown Aquarium & Restaurant houses a 500,000-gallon underwater adventure complex with over 200 species of aquatic life forms from all over the globe.
- Americas River Oaks – This award winning restaurant offers a menu that merges the bold flavors of South America with influences of Caribbean and Mexican cuisine.
- Ouisie’s – The restaurant offers trendy and elegant yet classic southern food and is among the most popular breakfast spots in Houston.
- Brasserie 19 is situated in the heart of the 77019 zip code, hence its name. It features classic French cuisine with Modern American influences.
- La Griglia offers guests the experience of authentic Italian dining. It was named by Esquire magazine as one of the Best New Restaurants in America.
- Tony Mandola’s is considered as one of the best seafood and Italian restaurants in Houston.
- Backstreet Cafe offers New American choices prepared by James Beard, Chef Hugo Ortega.
- Armando’s is famous for its upscale Mexican fare and has been a staple for many well-heeled locals and celebrities for decades.
River Oaks Schools
River Oaks homes are zoned to the Houston Independent School District (HISD).
The neighborhood is home to some of the best public schools in Houston, including River Oaks Elementary School.
- River Oaks Elementary School at 2008 Kirby Dr. River Oaks Elementary School has an accelerated multidisciplinary curriculum and is one of the first elementary schools in Texas to offer an International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10/10.
- Wharton Dual Language Academy at 900 W. Gray. Wharton is an alternative primary school that serves gifted and talented students in the Language Magnet program for Pre-K to 8. Their language program promotes both Spanish and English as languages of equal value. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10/10.
- Gregory-Lincoln Education Center at 1101 Taft. GLEC is a a Fine Arts magnet school with classes in instrumental music, vocal music, theatre arts, dance, culinary arts, visual arts, and multimedia.
- Lanier Middle School at 2600 Woodland. Lanier Middle School handles students from grades 6 to 8. They received a Texas Gold Performance Award based on language arts, math, reading, science, social studies, and writing in 2011. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10/10.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Lamar High School has a great Athletics program. They have one of the oldest lacrosse programs in the state, and have either won or placed several times in state championships in the past. Their football team is one of the highest-ranking teams within the Greater Houston area.
River Oaks Houston Private Schools
Notable Private Schools near River Oaks include:
- St. Thomas High School at 4500 Memorial Dr. Founded in 1900, St. Thomas is the second oldest continuously operating private high school in Houston. It has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 4/5 stars.
- St. Anne Catholic School at 2120 Westheimer Rd. St. Anne Catholic School is an accredited Pre-K through 8th grade with a National Blue Ribbon Status from the Department of Education. It has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 4/5 stars.
- St. John’s School at 2401 Claremont Ln. St. John’s is one of “America’s Elite Prep Schools” according to Forbes.com and “the best private school in Houston” according to the New York Times.
- Annunciation Orthodox School at 3600 Yoakum Blvd. AOS is co-educational school for age 3 to 8th grade. It has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 4/5 stars.
- River Oaks Baptist School at 2300 Willowick Rd. River Oaks Baptist School is one of the Houston’s premier independent co-educational schools. Most faculty members hold advanced degrees and the school boast of a a low teacher-to-student ratio.
- The Kinkaid School at 201 Kinkaid School Dr. The Kinkaid School is a non-sectarian school attended by students from PK -12. It is also the oldest independent coeducational school in Greater Houston.
- River Oaks Academy at 10600 Richmond Ave. ROA specializes in individualized education for children with special needs. The school features a specialized program for students with learning disabilities, unique learning styles, ADHD, social skill needs, autism, behavioral and emotional issues, and learning deficiencies. It is the only program approved by both the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI).
To find an updated listing of all River Oaks real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
River Oaks Real Estate Trends
River Oaks real estate have shown strong appreciation rates over the years. It is Houston’s most expensive neighborhood, and homes in the neighborhood have a median sales price of over $1,500,000.
Land values and average price per square foot have also posted similar positive changes, increasing by almost half over the past decade.
Like most Houston neighborhoods, new development is reshaping River Oaks. Older properties have been renovated and updated, though some have since been replaced with new construction homes. Other new developments in the area include condos and townhomes within gated communities.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding River Oaks real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin atPaige@HoustonProperties.com.
River Oaks Houston Realtor – Paige Martin
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in River Oaks Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within the Inner Loop.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate at Paige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.