Southgate Houston Neighborhood Guide
Southgate homes for sale are highly desirable due to the neighborhood’s:
- CENTRAL LOCATION: The neighborhood is adjacent to Rice University and a stone’s throw away from the Texas Medical Center. Parks, schools, restaurants, and entertainment and cultural hubs are all within minutes of Southgate homes.
- GREAT ACCESSIBILITY: With immediate access to Main Street, Holcombe Blvd, and University Blvd, Southgate homes for sale have excellent access to key neighborhoods like West U, Museum District, and Downtown Houston.
- EXCELLENT SCHOOLS: Zoned to the Houston ISD, multi-award winning schools like Roberts Elementary, Pershing Middle School, and Lamar High School serve the neighborhood.
- BEAUTIFUL HOMES: Made up mostly of single-family homes, Southgate boasts of gorgeously renovated homes from the 1930s and 40s, as well as new construction homes. Deed restrictions and an active civics club have helped in maintaining the neighborhood’s atmosphere.
Southgate is one of Houston’s most expensive neighborhoods and features some of the fastest growing real estate markets in the Inner Loop. The neighborhood’s great location, accessibility, and continuous community development have contributed to Southgate’s continuing popularity.
For any inquiries about Southgate homes recommendations, or off-market MLS listings, get in touch with Paige Martin, owner of HoustonProperties.com and one of the best realtors in Houston.
Southgate Resources (Popular Topics)
- All Southgate Homes For Sale
- Most Expensive Southgate Homes For Sale
- Southgate Homes Under $500K
- Southgate Townhomes For Sale
- Five Key Southgate Real Estate Trends
- Southgate Houston Maps
Houston Southgate Neighborhood Profile
- Southgate maps and location
- Fun things to do in Southgate
- Neighborhoods near Southgate
- Southgate History
- Southgate Schools
Southgate Real Estate Guide
Located some 5 miles southwest of Downtown Houston, Southgate is adjacent to both Rice University and the Texas Medical Center.
Southgate is bordered by University Boulevard on the north, Travis Street on the east, Holcombe Boulevard on the south, and Greenbriar Street on the west. The area known as Southgate Annex is located east of Main Street.
The neighborhood is divided into 4 sections, each with its own set of deed restrictions.
Known for its oak tree canopies and beautiful vintage homes, Southgate also boasts of having great access to key Houston neighborhoods like the Museum District, Rice University, and the Texas Medical Center. West University, an upscale independent city, is a few minutes west of Southgate.
Southgate Houston has a 77030 Harris County zip code.
Zip codes near Southgate Houston include 77054, 77025, 77005, 77046, 77098, 77006, and 77004. (View Houston zip code map)
Apart from its great access to Houston’s finest educational and medical institutions, Southgate also benefits from its proximity to the Museum District and Hermann Park.
The Museum District is a few minutes away from the neighborhood, and features 19 museums and institutions within a 1.5-mile radius of the Mecom Fountain. The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, the Children’s Museum of Houston, and the Houston Museum of Natural Science are among the most visited spots in the district.
Hermann Park, one of Houston’s most popular destinations, is a 445-acre public park that houses the Houston Zoo, the Miller Outdoor Theatre, the Houston Garden Center, and the Hermann Park Golf Course.
Several attractions and facilities are available at the park, including several jogging trails, playgrounds, gardens, and even pedal boats. The area also teems with dining, retail, and entertainment options.
Here are some of must-visit places in Southgate Houston:
- Maxwell Street Grill
- Number 1 Chicken Rice & Seafood
- Bowl Cafe
- Davis Street at Hermann Park
- Bowl Cafe
- The Raven Grill
- Bodegas Taco Shop
- Pax Americana
- Museum Park Cafe
- Reggae Hut
- Pinewood Cafe
- Black Hole Coffee Houst
- Green Seed Vegan
- The Lexington Grille
- Papa Mio Italian Cafe
- Monarch Restaurant & Lounge
- Grand Prize Bar
- Absinthe Brasserie
- Revelry on Richmond
- Ruthie’s Place
- Bar 5015
- Kaiser’s Korner Pub
- The Alley Kat Bar & Lounge
- Bosta Wine and Coffee
- Mosaic Bar and Lounge
- Reckling Park
- Texas A&M University Park
- Hermann Park
In Hermann Park
- Japanese Garden
- Houston Zoo
- Miller Outdoor Theatre
- Hermann Park Golf Course
- Health Museum
- Museum of Natural Science
- Children’s Museum
- Holocaust Museum
- Asia Society Texas Center
- Czech Center Museum
- African American Culture
- Center for Contemporary Craft
- Lawndale Art Center
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Contemporary Arts Museum
- Jung Center of Houston
- Rice Art Gallery
Neighborhoods near Southgate include:
- Downtown Houston
- Medical Center
- Museum District
- Braeswood Place
- West University Place
- Boulevard Oaks
- River Oaks
- Upper Kirby
Developed in the 1930s, Southgate was heavily marketed as a “new American residential subdivision” and was prized even then for its proximity to Rice University, access to Main Street, and its affordable homes.
Southgate, Inc. developed 554 of the subdivision’s original homesites and only put up 200 for sale during its initial offering.
The area’s deed restrictions also date back to this period. A number of the neighborhood’s original homes have been heavily renovated and carefully maintained.
At the time, homes in the neighborhood were priced to sell. Today, thanks to its great location and accessibility, Southgate is one of Houston’s most expensive neighborhoods and has one of the best real estate appreciation rates in the Inner Loop.
Southgate is zoned to the Houston Independent School District (HISD). Roberts Elementary School is located within the neighborhood’s borders.
- Roberts Elementary School at 6000 Greenbriar St. Oran M. Roberts Elementary School is a multi-award winning school located within Southgate. It has been recognized as an Honor Roll School by the Texas Business and Education Coalition (TBEC), and as an Exemplary School by the Texas Education Administration (TEA). Apart from its Vanguard program, the school also serves an International Baccalaureate programe and a Fine Arts magnet program.
- Pershing Middle School at 3838 Blue Bonnet Blvd. Located in nearby Braeswood Place, John J. Pershing Middle School offers a wide array of academic programs. Along with its neighborhood, gifted and talented, and a Fine Arts magnet programs, Pershing is also known for its enrichment programs.
- Pin Oak Middle School at 4601 Glenmont St. Pin Oak is a one of the most highly regarded schools in the HISD and has been recognized as a TEA Exemplary School and a National Blue Ribbon School. Students zoned to Pershing can opt to apply into Pin Oak’s regular program and Foreign Languages magnet program.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Located in Upper Kirby, Lamar is highly regarded for both its academic and athletics programs. It is home to the Lamar Texans, and offers a business magnet, neighborhood, and AP programs. Lamar is also one of the HISD’s International Baccalaureate World schools, with one of the largest IB Diploma programs in the state.
Southgate Houston Private Schools
Credit to the neighborhood’s proximity to Rice University and the Texas Medical Center, Southgate homes have plenty of private school from which to choose. Listed below are some of them.
- St. Nicholas School Medical Center Campus at 1920 North Braeswood Blvd.
- St. Vincent de Paul School at 6800 Buffalo Speedway.
- Episcopal High School at 4650 Bissonnet St.
- St. Mark’s Episcopal School at 3816 Bellaire Blvd.
- Beresford School at 2501 W Holcombe Blvd.
- Children’s Hour Montessori School at 2227 Dorrington Street
- Sheridan Montessori School at 2433 Sheridan Street
- Diamond-A-Cat-A-Me at 6955 Almeda Road
- Creative Minds Development Center at 2479 S Braeswood Blvd.
To find an updated listing of all Southgate real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Southgate real estate have posted impressive appreciation rates over the past decade. Median sales prices have increased by a whopping 113% from 2005 to 2014. The 1-year change alone clocked in at 27%.
Southgate homes have a median sales price of $693,000 and a $300.64 median price per square foot.
It has become of Houston’s hottest neighborhoods, due to its steady appreciation and healthy real estate growth.
This growth promises to extend into coming years, as the neighborhood’s popularity stems from its great location, active community development, and great choice of new construction and remodeled vintage homes.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Southgate real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Southgate is made up of mostly single-family homes on (by Houston standards) medium-sized lots. Lot sizes can range from 5,000 to just a little under 8,000 square feet.
An average Southgate home can feature 3 bedrooms and 2 and a half baths. Larger homes can offer a 5/4/2 floor plan, with one- or two-story construction. Architectural styles vary, though most homes in the area lean more toward traditional aesthetics.
A number of Southgate’s original homes from the 1930s and 40s have been gorgeously renovated and maintained. Others have since been replaced with custom-built homes. Newer construction homes tend to sell for higher prices than older Southgate homes for sale.
Due to the neighborhood’s deed restrictions, there are no Southgate townhomes as most homes in the area are detached single-family dwellings. Surrounding areas like the Medical Center and Museum District, however, do have townhomes available.
There are no mid- or high-rise Southgate condos for sale, but plenty of units are available in surrounding areas like the Museum District and River Oaks. Condos in the Galleria/Uptown area and Downtown are also popular options.
- Commerce Towers
- Four Seasons Residence
- Bayou Lofts
- Franklin Lofts
- Hermann Lofts
- St Germain Lofts
- Rise Lofts
- The Edge
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in Southgate Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Southgate, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Southgate Houston realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate atPaige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.