Tanglewood Houston Neighborhood Guide
One of Houston’s most expensive neighborhoods, Tanglewood is a peaceful residential enclave just outside the Inner Loop.
Nestled in a beautiful wooded area about 7 miles west of Downtown Houston, the neighborhood is highly popular due to its:
- CENTRAL LOCATION: Tanglewood real estate enjoy a central location near world-class retail centers, parks, and job centers. Schools, restaurants, and other entertainment options are also nearby.
- EASY ACCESSIBILITY: The neighborhood has convenient access to key Houston roads, including Loop 610, I-10, San Felipe St, Woodway Dr, and Memorial Dr.
- PLENTY OF RETAIL AND ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS: Tanglewood homes are minutes away from the Galleria and Uptown Park. Memorial Park is also a short drive from the neighborhood.
- BEAUTIFUL HOMES: Tanglewood homes typically sit on spacious, wooded lots. Architectural styles vary, though the neighborhood’s deed restrictions have helped maintain the area’s look and feel.
- STRONG HOUSING MARKET: Thanks to the neighborhood’s continued popularity, Tanglewood real estate has remained among the most expensive in Houston.
For any inquiries about Tanglewood homes recommendations, or off-market MLS listings, get in touch with Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com and one of the best realtors in Houston.
Tanglewood Resources (Popular Topics)
- All Tanglewood Homes For Sale
- Most Expensive Tanglewood Homes For Sale
- Tanglewood Townhomes For Sale
- Five Key Tanglewood Real Estate Trends
Houston Tanglewood Neighborhood Profile
- 12 Things Tanglewood Real Estate Buyers Should Know
- Tanglewood maps and location
- Fun things to do in Tanglewood
- Neighborhoods near Tanglewood
- Tanglewood History
- Tanglewood Schools
Tanglewood Real Estate Guide
- Tanglewood real estate trends
- Single-family home sale trends
- Townhome sale trends
- Condo sale trends
- Paige Martin – Best Tanglewood Houston Realtor
Tanglewood is an exclusive and affluent residential neighborhood nestled just outside Loop 610.
- Tanglewood real estate enjoy a central location near world-class retail centers, parks, and job centers. Schools, restaurants, and other entertainment options are also nearby.
- The neighborhood has convenient access to key Houston roads, including Loop 610, I-10, San Felipe St, Woodway Dr, and Memorial Dr.
- Tanglewood homes are minutes away from the Galleria and Uptown Park. Memorial Park is also a short drive from the neighborhood.
- Tanglewood homes typically sit on spacious, wooded lots. Architectural styles vary, though the neighborhood’s deed restrictions have helped maintain the area’s look and feel.
- Thanks to the neighborhood’s continued popularity, Tanglewood real estate has remained among the most expensive in Houston.
- Tanglewood homes are zoned to the Houston Independent School District (HISD). Schools serving the community include Briargrove Elementary School.
- The neighborhood is divided into 15 sections, all of which are under the Tanglewood Homes Association, Inc.
- A number of the neighborhood’s original homes still stand, though some have since been replaced with newer custom-built homes.
- Four- to five-bedroom floor plans are common in the neighborhood. The most expensive Tanglewood real estate can feature as many as six to seven bedrooms.
- Home sizes vary, ranging from 2,000 to more than 10,000 square feet.
- Lot sizes, on the other hand, are typically between 10,000 to more than 40,000 square feet.
- Prices for Tanglewood homes for sale can start at around $750,000 and can go up to more than $6,000,000.
Located about 8 miles west of Downtown Houston, Tanglewood is just outside Loop 610.
Tanglewood homes have easy access to Houston’s key districts, including Downtown, the Galleria, the Energy Corridor via main roads like Memorial Drive, San Felipe Street, Woodway Drive, and Loop 610.
Residents also enjoy convenient access to retail, entertainment, and outdoor activity hotspots.
Mostly residential, Tanglewood is made up of about 1,050 homes divided into 15 sections.
Tanglewood is under the 77056 Harris County zip code.
Zip codes near Tanglewood Houston include 77024, 77057, 77081, 77027, and 77055. (View Houston zip code map.)
Tanglewood homes have easy access to hundreds of upscale boutiques, stores, restaurants, bars, and cafes. The Galleria and Uptown Park are both minutes away from the neighborhood.
Green spaces are also available in the area. Tanglewood Park and Grady Park are within walking distance of Tanglewood homes. Memorial Park, Houston’s 1,500-acre urban park, is a short drive away.
Members-only Houston Country Club is also located in Tanglewood. The club features a par 72 18-hole golf course (course rating 72.9, slope rating 122), tennis courts, and other luxury amenities.
The Memorial Park Golf Course, on the other hand, is a few minutes away. It has a course rating of 73 and a slope rating of 122.
Here are some of Tanglewood TX must-visit places:
- Dish Society
- MOD Pizza
- Barnaby’s Cafe
- The Brisket House
- North Italia
- Adair Kitchen
- True Food Kitchen
- Osaka Japanese Restaurant
- Island Grill
- Peska Seafood Culture
- Latin Bites
- Ciao Bello
- Table on Post Oak
- The Tasting Room
- The Living Room
- Bar 12
- The West End
- WXYZ Bar
- 51fifteen Restaurant & Lounge
- Whole Foods
- The Fresh Market
- Rice Epicurean Markets
- Westcreek Market and Deli
- Tanglewood Park
- Tanglewood Bark Park
- Grady Park
- Memorial Park
Neighborhoods near Tanglewood include:
- Briar Hollow
- Galleria / Uptown
- Memorial Park
- Memorial Villages (Hunters Creek Village and Piney Point Village)
The William G. Farrington Company kicked off development in Tanglewood when it acquired land previously owned by the Humble Pipeline Company (now Exxon).
Development started in the 1930s and opened in 1949. Seven airconditioned ranch-style homes were initially offered in the neighborhood’s first section.
Tanglewood was derived from “Tanglewood Tales” by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Two oaks were planted on each lot, in addition to three oaks on every corner. Today, Tanglewood is still one of Houston’s most beautiful wooded areas.
Sales was slow for the first few months. However, after heavy rains flooded most of Harris County, interest in Tanglewood homes increased. The area had high water drainage and was one of the few areas in the county that wasn’t affected by the floods.
The Tanglewood Homes Association (THA) was formed in 1967 and today still maintains the neighborhood’s common areas, enforces deed restrictions, and hires additional security.
One of Houston’s most expensive neighborhoods, Tanglewood has grown over the years, thanks to its great location and continued popularity.
Tanglewood homes are zoned to Houston Independent School District (HISD):
- Briargrove Elementary School at 6145 San Felipe St. Briargrove Elementary is an International Baccalaureate World School, offering the Primary Years Programme (PYP). The schools also features a gifted and talented program as well as a Critical Thinking Lab. Students zoned to Briargrove Elementary can also apply for Briarmeadow Charter School or T.H. Rogers School.
- Briarmeadow Charter School at 3601 Dunvale Rd. Briarmeadow is a charter school that serves Pre-K to grade 8 students. It offers Pre-AP and Gifted programs.
- Grady Middle School at 5215 San Felipe St. Established in 1992, Grady is a Vanguard magnet school that offers Pre-AP programs for gifted and talented students. Its core enrichment classes covers several subjects, including Technology, Visual Arts, Fine Arts, Music, and Spanish.
All Tanglewood students are zoned to Lee High School, but they can opt to attend Westside or Lamar instead.
- Lee High School at 6529 Beverly Hill St. Lee opened its doors in 1962, as a relief school for Lamar and Bellaire. Today, it is a magnet school that offers several advanced placement courses.
- Westside High School at 14201 Briar Forest Dr. Westside is a magnet school for Integrated Technology. Its curriculum focuses on five branches wherein technology can be applied: Media Relations, Applied Science/Health Science, Fine Arts, Business, and Computing Sciences.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Lamar is one of the HISD’s IB World Schools. It offers the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the Diploma Programme, as well as a business management magnet program. Apart from its exemplary academics programs, Lamar is also known for its great athletics offerings.
- T.H. Rogers School at 5840 San Felipe St. Thomas Horace Rogers School is an alternative K to 12 school. It offers a gifted and talented program for students in grades K to 8, in addition to programs for deaf and multiply impaired students.
Tanglewood Private Schools
The following are some of the more notable private schools near Tanglewood.
- St. Michael School at 1833 Sage Rd. St. Michael School is a co-educational Catholic school for elementary to middle school students. It is located in the Galleria area.
- Al-Hadi School of Accelerative Learning at 2313 S Voss Rd. Al-Hadi School of Accelerative Learning is an Islamic school located in southwest Houston. The school accepts students from Pre-K to 12th grade.
- Strake Jesuit College Preparatory at 8900 Bellaire Blvd. Strake Jesuit College Preparatory is the largest Catholic school in Houston for grades 9 to 12.
- St. Agnes Academy at 9000 Bellaire Blvd. St. Agnes Academy is a Dominican school for female students in grades 9 to 12.
- St. John’s School at 2401 Claremont Ln. St. John’s School is one of “America’s Elite Prep Schools” according to Forbes.com and “the best private school in Houston” according to the New York Times. St. John’s admits students from K-12.
- The Kinkaid School at 201 Kinkaid School Dr. The Kinkaid School is a non-sectarian school attended by students from PK to 12. It is also the oldest independent coeducational school in Greater Houston.
To find an updated listing of all Tanglewood real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
With a median sales price of over $1,500,000, Tanglewood real estate are certainly among Houston’s most expensive. Despite slight fluctuations, the neighborhood has posted strong appreciation rates. Land values and average price per square foot have also shown a steady appreciation over the last 10 years.
Several factors have contributed to Tanglewood’s strong property values, including high demand, the influx of new construction homes in the area, and the neighborhood’s deed restrictions.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Tanglewood real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Tanglewood single-family homes typically sit on mid- to large-sized lots (by Houston standards). Lot sizes in the neighborhood range from 10,000 to more than 40,000 square feet.
Home sizes vary, though 4- to 5-bedroom floor plans are common in the neighborhood. Living spaces are typically between 2,000 to more than 10,000 square feet. The most expensive Tanglewood real estate can feature as many as 6 to seven bedrooms.
Prices for Tanglewood homes can start at around $750,000 for smaller, older properties. New construction custom-built homes in the area typically sell for higher and can cost more than $6,000,000.
The neighborhood’s deed restrictions discourage townhomes. There are however, plenty of townhome options available in nearby neighborhoods.
There are currently no residential mid or high rise condominiums in Tanglewood. However, there are many condominiums within the 77056 zip code and nearby areas including the Galleria, River Oaks, and Memorial Park.
- The Houstonian
- Villa D’Este
- Four Leaf Towers
- The Mark
- The Empire
- The Manhattan
- Lofts at Post Oak
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin – a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and the owner of HoustonProperties.com – is ranked amongst the very top Keller Williams agents in the Houston area.
Paige is ranked as one of the top realtors in Tanglewood Houston, and the state of Texas. Read more about the over 65 awards she’s won in the last few years.
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Tanglewood, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Tanglewood TX realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, Owner of HoustonProperties.com & Broker Associate atPaige@HoustonProperties.com or 713-384-5177.