Briargrove Houston Homebuyers Guide
Seemingly like a time-capsule straight out of the 50s, Briargrove is a peaceful residential enclave in west Houston.
Located west of the Galleria/Uptown area, Briargrove homes for sale are some of Houston’s most desirable due to a number of factors, including:
- Excellent location: Due to its proximity to Houston’s main destination for retail, Briargrove homes enjoy having about 700 boutiques, stores, restaurants, and hotels. Job centers and schools are also within easy reach.
- High accessibility: Several main roads border the neighborhood, including Westheimer and Woodway. Residents have a fairly easy commute to and from Inner Loop neighborhoods.
- Family-friendly vibe: Briargrove features a strong sense of community and a neighborly vibe that draws in both new generations of old residents and new families looking to put down roots.
- Active HOA: Briargrove’s homeowners association is dedicated to preserving both the neighborhood’s look and feel, as well as its atmosphere. The HOA enforces the community’s deed-restrictions and provides 24-hour security.
- Access to great schools: The neighborhood is zoned to the Houston ISD’s Lamar High School and is home to the award-winning Briargrove Elementary School.
Briargrove Houston Resources:
- Briargrove Neighborhood Guide
- Most Expensive Briargrove Homes For Sale
- Briargrove Homes For Sale Under $1M
- Houston Neighborhoods Guide
For more information on available Briargrove homes for sale call Paige Martin at 713-425-4194 or email [email protected]
Neighborhood Guide: Briargrove Houston
Nestled right next to the Galleria/Uptown area, Briargrove is roughly bordered by Westheimer Road to the south, Briarmead Drive to the east, Woodway Drive to the north, and Briargrove Drive to the west.
Back in the late 40s, the neighborhood was an undeveloped parcel of land with a few homes. Like most neighborhoods in the area (most notably the Memorial Villages), Houston’s housing boom during the 50s and 60s sparked a surge of development.
Briargrove was completed sometime during that period and was populated with mostly ranch-style homes. Deed restrictions were put into place – and were only amended in 1986 to allow for the construction of 1.5 and 2-story homes.
Since then, a number of Briargrove’s original homes have been, remodeled, updated or torn down. Today, Briargrove homes for sale range from gorgeously maintained ranch-style homes for the 50s, recently constructed custom-built homes, and remodeled homes.
Lot sizes are quite large – by Houston standards – with homes typically sitting on 8,000 to 10,000 square feet parcels. Architectural styles vary as well, though traditional and ranch-style homes are still some of the most common available.
Briargrove is within the 77057 zip code of Harris County.
Briargrove Houston Schools Information
Briargrove is zoned to the Houston Independent School District (HISD).
- Briargrove Elementary School at 6145 San Felipe St. Located comfortably within the neighborhood, Briargrove is a newly named IB World School and now offers the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP). Apart from this new program, the school also features a Critical Thinking Lab, along with several enrichment classes in various subjects and areas.
- Briarmeadow Charter School at 3601 Dunvale Rd. As an option for those zoned to Briargrove, charter school Briarmeadow serves students in Pre-K through 8. It features Gifted and Pre-AP programs.
Students within the Briargrove area can apply to the soon to open Mark White School, slated to open its doors in August 2016.
- Grady Middle School at 5215 San Felipe St. As a neighborhood Vanguard school, Henry W. Grady Middle School offers Pre-AP classes for Gifted and Talented students. The school also offers core enrichment classes in different subjects including Technology, Spanish, Music, Fine Arts, and Visual Arts.
- Lee High School at 6529 Beverly Hill St. Located less than a couple of miles away from Briargrove homes, Lee High School is one of the HISD’s magnet schools. It offers several Advanced Placement courses, including World History, Macroeconomics, and Statistics, among others. Students zoned to Lee can choose to attend Lamar or Westside instead.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Known for its great athletics program and its football team (the Lamar Texans, formerly the Redskins), Lamar also offers excellent academics programs. As one of the HISD’s IB World Schools, Lamar serves a Middle Years Programme (MYP) a Diplomma Programme, and a Career-Related Programme. Its other programs include neighborhood and Advanced Placement.
- Westside High School at 14201 Briar Forest Dr. Westside is the Houston ISD’s Magnet School for Integrated Technology, and its curriculum centers on how technology can be applied to 5 aspects: Media Relations, Applied Science/Health Science, Fine Arts, Business, and Computing Sciences.
- T. H. Rogers School at 5840 San Felipe St. Named a National Blue Ribbon School in 1991-92, the Thomas Horace Rogers School is an alternative public school that serves grades K through 12. It offers a Vanguard program for gifted and talented students from kindergarten to 8th grade. Programs for deaf (Program for Deaf and Hard of Hearing) and multiply impared students (Program for Preparing Students for Independence) are offered from Pre-K to 8th grade, and age 3 to 12th grade, respectively.
Briargrove Houston Private Schools
Briargove homes are located near several private schools, including St. Michael School (1833 Sage Rd.), a part of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, and the Al-Hadi School of Accelerative Learning (2313 S Voss Rd.), a private Islamic School.
Here are a few private schools located near Briargrove:
- St. Francis Episcopal Day School at 335 Piney Point Rd.
- The Tenney School at 3500 S Gessner Rd.
- Robindell Private School at 6610 Alder Dr.
- Memorial Lutheran School at 5800 Westheimer Rd.
- Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart at 10202 Memorial Dr.
- The Kinkaid School at 201 Kinkaid School Dr.
- Second Baptist School at 6410 Woodway Dr.
To find an updated listing of all Briargrove real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at [email protected] with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Fun Things To Do In And Around Briargrove
There are perks to be had from being located adjacent to the Galleria/Uptown area.
Houston’s premiere shopping destination, the Galleria area features over 700 retailers, restaurants, hotels, and other entertainment hubs. With the Galleria and Uptown Park within minutes away, Briargrove homes are within minutes of Houston’s best and finest in terms of retail.
Other shopping malls nearby include Rice Village and Highland Village.
Within the neighborhood’s borders, residents can enjoy a leisurely stroll around Briargrove Park Center or take a swim in the community center’s pool facilities.
Briargrove Park Center offers several facilities, including a pool, tennis courts, and a playground. The park’s redevelopment in 2003 led to the improvement of other clubhouse amenities like sidewalks, fences, and its large pavilion. The community center pool is also home to the local swim team – the Barracudas.
Here are some of the must-visit places near Briargrove Houston:
- The Capital Grille
- True Food Kitchen
- Etoile Cuisine et Bar
- Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse
- Pappas Bros Steakhouse
- Maggiano’s Little Italy
- De Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
- The West End
- Ron’s Pub
- Richmond Arms Pub
- 51fifteen Restaurant and Lounge
- Firehouse Saloon
- Muldoon’s the Patio
- The Black Swan
- The Living Room
Retail and Entertainment Centers
- The Galleria
- Uptown Park
- Rice Village
- Whole Foods
- The Fresh Market
- Randalls Food & Pharmacy
- Briargrove Park Center
- Tanglewood Park
- Gerald D. Hines Waterwall Park
- Post Oak Park
- Grady Park
- Hidalgo Park