Camp Logan Houston Homes | Camp Logan Real Estate Info
Formerly an army bootcamp, Camp Logan is a residential community made up of around 240 homes. The neighborhood is known for for its tree-lined streets and winding roads. Residents enjoy:
- ALMOST DIRECT ACCESS TO MEMORIAL PARK: One of Houston’s more visited landmarks is located adjacent to the Camp Logan neighborhood. Memorial Park covers more than 1,400 acres, and is home to several sports facilities and miles of hike and bike trails. The Memorial Park Golf Course, the Seymour Lieberman Exertrail, and the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center are all within the park.
- NEAR THE GALLERIA: The Galleria/Uptown area, one of Houston’s busiest business and retail districts, is about 4 miles (>15 minutes) away from Camp Logan homes. Over 2,000 companies with 50,000+ employees operate out of the Galleria area. The district also features over 5,000,000 square feet of retail space.
- SHORT COMMUTES TO BUSINESS AND EMPLOYMENT DISTRICTS: Apart from the Galleria, residents also enjoy quick access to other key areas, including downtown (about 5 miles east), the Texas Medical Center (around 6 miles southeast), and the Greenway Plaza (>5 miles south).
- NEAR RETAIL AND ENTERTAINMENT: Camp Logan residents also have easy access to the Washington Corridor, with its collection of hip bars, lounges, cafes, and restaurants. Retail centers in the Inner Loop are highly accessible via main roads including Loop 610, Memorial Drive, Washington Avenue, and Kirby Drive, among others.
- AFFORDABLE HOMES: Compared to those in nearby Crestwood and Glen Cove, Camp Logan real estate tend to be more affordable with the median sales price at around $650,000. Median sales prices in Crestwood and Glen Cove are both well over $1,000,000. (See The Salary I Need To Buy A Home In Houston’s Best Neighborhoods)
- MULTI-LEVEL LIVING: Townhomes are quite popular in the Camp Logan neighborhood. Units range from older and smaller properties to luxury multi-level homes equipped with upscale furnishings and finishes.
Buying or selling a home in Camp Logan can be tricky. Some homes’ proximity to busy roads (Memorial and Westcott) can affect resale values due to noise or traffic issues. Older homes in the area may need some work (renovations). For help in navigating this tricky market, contact Paige Martin, one of Houston’s Best Realtors and one of Camp Logan’s most active real estate agents.
POPULAR Camp Logan RESOURCES
- One of Houston’s more visited landmarks is located adjacent to the Camp Logan neighborhood. Memorial Park covers more than 1,400 acres, and is home to several sports facilities and miles of hike and bike trails. The Memorial Park Golf Course, the Seymour Lieberman Exertrail, and the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center are all within the park.
- The Galleria/Uptown area, one of Houston’s busiest business and retail districts, is about 4 miles (>15 minutes) away from Camp Logan homes. Over 2,000 companies with 50,000+ employees operate out of the Galleria area. The district also features over 5,000,000 square feet of retail space.
- Apart from the Galleria, residents also enjoy quick access to other key areas, including downtown (about 5 miles east), the Texas Medical Center (around 6 miles southeast), and the Greenway Plaza (>5 miles south).
- Camp Logan residents also have easy access to the Washington Corridor, with its collection of hip bars, lounges, cafes, and restaurants. Retail centers in the Inner Loop are highly accessible via main roads including Loop 610, Memorial Drive, Washington Avenue, and Kirby Drive, among others.
- Compared to those in nearby Crestwood and Glen Cove, Camp Logan real estate tend to be more affordable with the median sales price at around $650,000. Median sales prices in Crestwood and Glen Cove are both well over $1,000,000.
- Townhomes are quite popular in the Camp Logan neighborhood. Units range from older and smaller properties to luxury multi-level homes equipped with upscale furnishings and finishes.
- Camp Logan homes are zoned to the Houston Independent School District. Hogg Middle School and Lamar High School both offer International Baccalaureate programs.
- Camp Logan’s tree-lined streets and well-kept lawns give the area a quiet, cozy vibe amid the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Compared to its more expensive neighbors, Camp Logan has smaller lots with sizes ranging from 1,000 to more than 2,500 square feet.
- Floor plans vary, though most Camp Logan homes feature 3 to 5 bedrooms and 3 to 4 full baths.
- Apart from ranch-style houses, Camp Logan also features newly constructed contemporary, Mediterranean, Spanish, and French-inspired townhomes.
- Prices for Camp Logan homes for sale can start at around $400,000. Bigger and newer properties can sell for well over $1,500,000.
Home to around 240 homes, Camp Logan is bordered by Memorial Park to the west, Arnot Street to the south, and Westcott Street to the east. It sits just north of Memorial Elementary School.
Camp Logan is north of the Glen Cove/Crestwood subdivisions, two of the most expensive neighborhoods in Houston.
Conveniently located just off Katy Freeway (Interstate 10) and Memorial Drive, the neighborhood is an easy jump off point to several key districts, including downtown, the Texas Medical Center, and the Galleria.
An oak tree that predates the Texas Republic serves as the neighborhood’s landmark.
Camp Logan has a triangular street pattern with winding, tree-lined roads. With Memorial Park at its western border and the Washington Avenue Corridor/Rice Military area to the east, the community has an element of serenity amid a bustling urban area.
The community is attractive to homebuyers who are in the market for locations close to the Gallera/Uptown area, or with easy commutes to the Med Center and Downtown Houston.
Camp Logan Houston is within the 77007 Harris County zip code.
Zip codes near Camp Logan include 77006, 77019, 77027, and 77008. (View Houston zip code map.)
– “One of America’s Best Real Estate Agents,” Real Trends
– Five Star Realtor Award, Multi-Year Winner
– “One of Houston’s Top 50 Realtors,” Houston Chronicle
Camp Logan homes are zoned to the Houston Independent School District (HISD).
Established in the 1920s, Houston ISD is the largest school district in the state (with 283 schools). The Texas Education Agency (TEA) gave the district a “Met Standard” rating in 2016. HISD features several International Baccalaureate (IB) World schools, including Lamar High School and Hogg Middle School.
Students in the area may attend the following public schools:
- Memorial Elementary School at 6401 Arnot St. Located just south of the Camp Logan neighborhood, Memorial Elementary School opened in 1926. It offers programs like English as a Second Language (ESL), Dual Language, and Preparing Students for Independence (PSI).
- Hogg Middle School at 1100 Merrill St. Located in the Norhill neighborhood, Hogg Middle School is an International Baccalaureate World School serving the Middle Years Programme (MYP). The school is also an HISD magnet school (STEM Academy).
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Lamar High School is known for both its great academics and athletics program. The school features one of the oldest lacrosse programs in the state and is home to the Lamar Texans, a high-ranking football team in the Greater Houston area. Lamar is also an IB World School serving the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the Diploma Programme. As a Houston magnet school, Lamar offers a business management program.
Camp Logan Houston Private Schools
Most of the residents send their children to the exemplary private schools nearby.
- St. Theresa School at 6623 Rodrigo St.
- The Kinkaid School at 201 Kinkaid School Dr.
- St. John’s School at 2401 Claremont Ln.
- DePelchin Children’s Center at 4950 Memorial Dr.
- St. Thomas High School at 4500 Memorial Dr.
- The Kipling School at 620 Shepherd Dr.
- River Oaks Baptist School at 2300 Willowick Rd.
- Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart at 10202 Memorial Dr.
- Memorial Christian Academy at 1315 S Dairy Ashford Rd F.
- St. Agnes Academy at 9000 Bellaire Blvd.
To find an updated listing of all Camp Logan real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at [email protected] with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Camp Logan properties have experienced steady and continuous appreciation in the last 10 years, with median sales prices peaking at over $750,000.
Townhomes have become quite popular in the area, and compared to nearby Glen Cove and Crestwood, Camp Logan homes are more affordable (and typically sit on smaller lots). Median sales prices in the said communities are at over $1,500,000 and $2,000,000, respectively.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Camp Logan real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at [email protected].
Camp Logan properties range from old ranch-style homes to newly constructed two-story contemporary, traditional, Mediterranean, and Spanish style houses.
Camp Logan single-family homes for sale can range from 1,800 to 4,000 square feet and feature 3 bedrooms and 3 ½ baths.
The median square footage is 2,394 square feet, and though this is a slightly smaller than in other Inner Loop neighborhoods, single-family homes in this area feature multi-level construction and second-floor living.
Newer construction, single-family homes in the area can go from $900,000 to well over $1,300,000.
Townhomes have really taken root in Camp Logan, making the area very accessible to families and professionals alike.
Camp Logan townhomes, spurred by a trend of multi-level construction in the area, feature front and backyards, decks, balconies, and patios. The standard floor plan includes 3 bedrooms and 3 and a half baths spread across two to four stories of living space.
Like single-family homes, townhomes are highly accessible in the Camp Logan area. Both housing types also share the same style sensibilities, though townhomes are slightly cheaper to buy and easy to maintain.
Townhomes in the Camp Logan area have an average lot area of 2,625 square feet, with prices ranging from $500,000 to $800,000.
Nearby townhome communities include:
There are no high rise condos in Camp Logan, but there are condo units available in mid-rise or multi-level townhouses.
Like most areas in Houston, Camp Logan played an integral role in the city’s rich history.
In 1917, shortly after the United States had declared war on Germany, the War Department commissioned two military camps to be built in Harris County. Camp John A. Logan, along with Ellington Field, was constructed in 1917-1918 and served as a training facility for the US Army. It was named after the founder of Memorial Day and was made on a 1,400-acre land, just three and a half miles from downtown Houston. It prepared over 30,000 soldiers for service during World War I.
The Third Battalion of the black Twenty-fourth United States Infantry Regiment was assigned to guard the then under-construction Camp Logan.
In 1918, Camp Logan was turned into military hospital and a golf course – the first one in Houston – was built for the recovering servicemen. The next year, the camp was decommissioned and closed.
Enterprising brothers, Mike and Will Hogg, bought 875 acres of Camp Logan, along with an adjoining property from the family of businessman William Marsh Rice.
They had planned to develop home sites on the property, but decided instead to focus their investments somewhere else. The brothers eventually sold the property to the city of Houston, and it was turned into a park dedicated to the memory of soldiers who died serving in World War I, now known as Memorial Park.
Today, some remnants of its history still remain – chunks of concrete, a shelled-road leading to the golf course, and trenches used for training.
Camp Logan community has deed restrictions that prevent construction of commercial establishments inside the neighborhood.
Residents of the community enjoy close proximity to Memorial Park, Houston’s largest public park – and one of the largest urban parks in the country (at 1,400+ acres). The park offers venues for various outdoor activities like swimming, tennis, softball, volleyball, croquet, skating, cycling, and track.
Many Houstonians frequent the Seymour Lieberman Exercise Trail, a three-mile jogging trail made of crushed granite that courses through Memorial Park and Camp Logan.
Another popular destination is the Memorial Park Golf Course, a top rated municipal golf course with a 73 rating and slope rating of 122 that is easily accessible for those who reside in the Camp Logan neighborhood.
Memorial Park is also home to the Houston Arboretum and Nature Park, a nature sanctuary that provides nature educational facilities for children.
Hikers, bike enthusiasts, in-line skaters, and roller skaters can take advantage of the Memorial Park Picnic Loop, a multi-use trail open during park hours. There are several trails available both for bikers and hikers as well.
Camp Logan is also near the dining and commercial establishments along the Washington Corridor, while shopping destinations like the Galleria are highly accessible. Other commercial, entertainment, and cultural hubs are only a short drive away.
Here are some of Camp Logan Houston must-visit places:
- Atlas Pub
- Rehla Foods
- AGU Ramen
- Surya Indian
- Gumbo Jeaux’s
- Velvet Taco
- La Macro
- Ginger & Fork
- Revolver Bourbon Social
- River Oaks Shopping Center
- River Oaks District
- Uptown Park
- Highland Village
- Aura Houston
- Lincoln Bar & Kitchen
- Concrete Cowboy
- Little J’s Bar
- Citizen Lounge
- District Lounge
- Giulietta Sociale
- Little Woodrow’s
- Clutch Bar
- Canyon Creek Cafe
- Fuego’s Saloon
- El Tiempo Market
- Central Market
- Trader Joe’s
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- Whole Foods Market
- Central City Co-Op
In Memorial Park
- Memorial Park Golf Course
- Seymour Lieberman Exercise Trail
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center
- Memorial Park Tennis Center
- Memorial Swimming Pool
- Kickball Field
- Memorial Park Playground
- Picnic Loop
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, Houston Business Journal and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin, a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and head of the Houston Properties Team, is ranked as one of the top residential real estate agents in the world.