Guide To Medical Center Houston Real Estate
The Texas Medical Center has one of the highest concentrations of medical facilities in the the world.
The Medical Center Area, also known as TMC and Med Center, is a popular choice for professionals, students, and people who prefer living near:
- Entertainment options: The NRG Stadium, Hermann Park, and the Museum District are within minutes of Medical Center homes. Since the district is centrally located within the Loop, other entertainment options are also highly accessible.
- Employment centers: With several hospitals, support organizations, academic and research institutions, and several other medical-related institutions located within its borders, the Texas Medical Center is one of Houston’s largest employment centers.
- Great schools: The district is zoned to the Houston Independent School District’s Lamar High School and Whidby Middle School. The DeBakey High School, a National Blue Ribbon School, is a few minutes away from the Medical Center Area. A number of premier medical, nursing, and dentistry schools are located inside the district.
Bordered by Loop 610, Southwest Freeway, and South Freeway, the Medical Center Area Houston is highly accessible to and from other Inner Loop neighborhoods, including Downtown Houston.
The Medical Center Area features a variety of housing options, including patio homes, two-story single family homes, townhomes, and condos. Several new residential developments are planned for the district, so homebuyers will benefit from seeking the advice of a reliable Houston realtor.
Contact Paige Martin, a top-ranked Houston realtor and head of the Houston Properties Team for questions and advice about Medical Center Area homes for sale.
Medical Center Area Houston Resources:
- Medical Center Area Neighborhood Guide
- Most Expensive Medical Center Area Homes For Sale
- Medical Center Area Houston Maps
- Best Neighborhoods Near Texas Medical Center
- Houston Neighborhoods Guide
NOTE: Medical Center Area homes are among the fastest selling real estate in Houston. Some of the properties are off-market (not publicly listed). For more information on available Medical Center Houston homes for sale call Paige Martin at 713-384-5177 or email [email protected]
Neighborhood Guide: Medical Center Area Houston
The district is along three major freeways: Loop 610 (I-610), Southwest Freeway (US Highway 59), and South Freeway (State Highway 288).
The Medical Center Area is home to several hospitals, research and academic institutions, support and public health organizations, and medical schools, among others.
The TMC opened in 1945, through an injection of funds from both the state of Texas and the M.D. Anderson Foundation.
Monroe Dunaway Anderson, a wealthy banker from Tennessee, left $19 million in his estate to the foundation. Some of its funds went toward the Texas Medical Center and the University of Texas’ then planned cancer hospital and research center.
Today, the Medical Center is the largest medical complex in the world. Some of its member institutions are located outside of Houston, but the majority of them are located within the Medical Center Area.
The residential neighborhoods around the Med Center grew with the district. Some residential developments, like apartment complexes, high-rise and mid-rise condominiums, and townhomes, have gone up in the district.
The Texas Medical Center Area is under the 77030 Harris County zip code.
Zip codes near the Medical Center Area include: 77001, 77097, 77202, 77203, 77210, 77212, 77216, 77256, 77297, 77299.
Medical Center Area Schools
The Medical Center is zoned to some of the best schools from the Houston Independent School District (HISD).
- Roberts Elementary School at 6000 Greenbriar Street. Oran M. Roberts Elementary School is both an IB World (International Baccalaureate) School and a Fine Arts Magnet school. It serves students in EE to 5 grade levels. It also offers a Vanguard Program.
- Whidby Elementary at 7625 Springhill. Whidby is a magnet school for “Leadership in Health Science.” Its academic program aims to prepare its students for a career in the medical field or their career of choice. It serves students from early education to 5.
- Cullen Middle School at 6900 Scott St. E. W. Cullen Middle School offers Pre-AP, Spanish, and Gifted and Talented academic programs. It also offers a music program as wells as an aquatic program.
- DeBakey High School for Health Professions at 3100 Shenandoah. Named after Michael E. DeBakey, a famous heart surgeon, DeBakey is a National Blue Ribbon School (1997-98, and 2003) that offers one of the best academic programs in Houston. It offers PAP classes and 18 AP classes.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Lamar is probably best known for its Athletics program. With one of the oldest lacrosse teams in Texas, this high school offers a variety of other sports. It is home to The Lamar Redskins, one of the highest-ranked teams in Greater Houston.
The Medical Center area has a number of early childhood and kindergarten schools. This includes:
- Children’s Hour Montessori School at 2227 Dorrington Street
- Sheridan Montessori School at 2433 Sheridan Street
- Diamond-A-Cat-A-Me at 6955 Almeda Road
- Creative Minds Development Center at 2479 S Braeswood Blvd.
The neighborhood has a number of private schools that offer primary and secondary education. Here are some of them:
- St. Nicholas School at 1920 North Braeswood Boulevard
- Beresford School at 2501 W Holcombe Boulevard
Higher academic institutions, mostly in the medical field are within the neighborhood. Among the most prominent are Baylor College of Medicine, the University of Houston, Rice University, and the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
To find an updated listing of all Medical Center Area real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at [email protected] with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.