Hedwig Village Homes, Real Estate And Neighborhood Guide
Tree-lined streets, elegant mini-mansions, and ranch-style homes define Hedwig Village’s old country-living and new upbeat charm. The city remains a popular option due to the neighborhood’s:
- EXCLUSIVITY: Hedwig Village features some of Houston’s Most Expensive Real Estate. Its luxury homes and mini-manors sell for upwards of $1,000,000.
- MEMORIAL VILLAGE LOCATION: Forbes, Fortune, and The Wall Street Journal have included Memorial Village in their rankings: “Best Places To Live,” “Top Places to Live Well,” “The (Multi) Millionaire’s Haven.”Located just south of Katy Freeway (I-10), Hedwig Village is around 10 miles away from Downtown Houston.
- LARGE LOTS WITH GREAT TREES: Homes in Hunter Creek have larger lots, on average, than other luxury neighborhoods like River Oaks, Tanglewood or West University. Hedwig Village real estate feature sprawling lot areas – from 10,000 to more than 30,000 square feet.
- INDEPENDENT CITY: Incorporated in 1954, Hedwig Village features a mayor-council form of government and maintains zoning ordinances. It shares the Villages Fire Department with the other Memorial Villages, but maintains its own police department.
- RISING PROPERTY VALUES: Hedwig Village real estate continues to appreciate. The median sales price of homes in the area is at over $1,800,000. (The Memorial Villages is among the Best Houston Neighborhoods in terms of Land Value Appreciation.)
- NATIONAL BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS: National Blue Ribbon Schools Memorial Drive Elementary, Bunker Hill Elementary, Spring Branch Middle School, and Memorial High School serve homes within the city. The highly regarded Spring Branch Independent School District features some of the Best Schools in the Greater Houston Area.
Hedwig Village real estate can be daunting to navigate. Inventories tend to be low, and some properties sell at a higher premium than others. For help in navigating this challenging market, contact Paige Martin, one of Houston’s Best Realtors and one of Hedwig Village’s most active real estate agents.
POPULAR HEDWIG VILLAGE RESOURCES
- Hedwig is one of the independent municipalities that make up the Memorial Villages. The Villages feature some of the most expensive real estate in Texas (see the Salary Requirements to Live in Houston’s Top Neighborhoods).
- Hedwig Village homes have near direct access to Katy Freeway, providing great mobility to and from key Houston districts like the Galleria and the Energy Corridor. Downtown Houston is approximately 10 miles away from the city.
- The city is located next to Memorial City and has the Memorial City Mall and the Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical Center nearby.
- Other retail centers are a short drive away, including the Galleria, Town and Country Village, and the CityCentre.
- Unlike the other Villages, Hedwig Village is not deed-restricted. It instead enforces zoning ordinances and does feature some commercial areas (particularly along I-10).
- The city was incorporated in 1954 with a mayor-council form of government.
- The Villages Fire Department serves the city. While the city shares a fire department with the other 5 villages, it operates its own police department.
- The Spring Branch ISD is headquartered in Hedwig. Schools serving the community include Memorial Drive Elementary, Bunker Hill Elementary, Spring Branch Middle School, and Memorial High School. All four have been named National Blue Ribbon School.
- Four-bedroom floor plans are common in the city, though the most expensive Hedwig homes can feature as many as 7 bedrooms.
- Most homes in Hedwig feature traditional and ranch-style architecture. Some of the area’s newer custom-built homes lean more toward modern designs.
- Like the other Villages, Hedwig Village real estate boasts of sprawling lots. Sizes can range from 10,000 to more than 30,000 square feet.
- Hedwig Village homes for sale are some of the most expensive real estate in the Memorial area. Prices typically start at around $1,000,000 and can get up to more than $3,000,000.
Located about 10 miles west of Downtown Houston, Hedwig Village sits along the Katy Freeway (I-10).
It is among the four villages located south of the freeway and is bordered by Hunters Creek to the east, and Piney Point and Bunker Hill to the south. Spring Valley is located north of Hedwig Village, just across the I-10.
It is the second smallest among the Memorial Villages and one of the smallest municipalities in Harris County, having a total area of just 0.9 square miles.
Due to its strategic location, Hedwig Village provides easy access to and from major Houston hubs like The Galleria and Downtown Houston. The Energy Corridor, a major business and employment center, is a few minutes west of Hedwig.
The city sits outside Loop 610 and inside Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Parkway). It is directly east of Memorial City, with both Memorial City Mall and the Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical Center nearby. Unlike the other Villages, Hedwig Village is not deed-restricted and has some commercial areas along its borders. The city, however, enforces zoning ordinances.
Hedwig Village Texas is under 77024 zip code. (View Houston zip code map.)
– “One of America’s Best Real Estate Agents,” Real Trends
– Five Star Realtor Award, Multi-Year Winner
– “One of Houston’s Top 50 Realtors,” Houston Chronicle
Hedwig Village is zoned to schools from the highly regarded Spring Branch Independent School District (SBISD).
Spring Branch ISD is known for its multi-award winning schools, most of which have been named National Blue Ribbon School. Headquartered in Hedwig Village, the SBISD received a “Met Standard” accountability rating from the Texas Education Agency in 2016.
National Blue Ribbon Schools Wildcat Way Elementary School, Spring Branch Middle School, and Memorial High School are all located within Hedwig Village.
- Wildcat Way School at 12754 Kimberley Ln. Like most of the Memorial Villages, all students in Hedwig Village are zoned to Wildcat Way for preschool.
- Memorial Drive Elementary School ay 11202 Smithdale Rd. One of Spring Branch ISD’s award-winning schools, MDE was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School (1996-97). The school is located in nearby Piney Point and has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10 out of 10.
- Bunker Hill Elementary School at 11950 Taylorcrest. Located in Bunker Hill Village, this school was also recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School (1991-92). Along with that distinction, Bunker Hill Elementary is also a Gold Performance School and has an Exemplary TEA rating. The school serves K to 5 students and has a GreatSchools.org rating of 9 out of 10.
- Spring Branch Middle School at 1000 Piney Point Dr. Located within Hedwig Village, SBMS was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School in 1997-98. It offers several electives in Foreign Language, Technology Education, and Family and Consumer Science. It also has a special education program.
- Memorial High School at 935 Echo Ln. Memorial High School is also located within the city of Hedwig Village. It was listed as one of the Top 10 Best High Schools in the Area, and has been named as a National Blue Ribbon School (1988-89) as well as an Honor Roll School. A recipient of the TAKS Gold Performance and College Readiness awards, MHS also has an excellent athletics program.
Hedwig Village Houston Private Schools
The following are some of the more notable private schools near Hedwig Village.
- St. Cecilia School at 11740 Joan of Arc Dr. This coeducational and non-profit school is within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. Located within Hedwig Village, SCS (or SCCS) serves grades Pre-K to 8 and offers a curriculum that focuses on six core subjects: Theology, Mathematics, Sciences, Social Sciences, Literature, and English).
- Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart at 10202 Memorial Dr. Located near Hunters Creek Village, Duchesne Academy serves students from grades K to 12. This all-girls Catholic school is part of both the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston and the Independent School Association of the Southwest.
- The Kinkaid School at 201 Kinkaid School Dr. Located in Piney Point Village, Kinkaid is one of the most prestigious private schools in the area. Founded in 1906, The Kinkaid School offers excellent academics and athletics programs.
- The Parish School at 11001 Hammerly Boulevard. A part of the Houston Area Independent Schools, The Parish School is a non-profit private school that offers students with language, communication, or learning deficiencies with alternative learning programs and therapy.
To find an updated listing of all Hedwig Village real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at [email protected] with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
As part of the Memorial Villages, Hedwig Village is one of the most desirable close-in areas west of Houston. While the municipality doesn’t enforce deed restrictions – and therefore commercial establishments are allowed within its boundaries – it has still managed to preserve some of its old charm and perhaps develop a new one.
Though the Memorial Villages’ real estate market in general has marked fairly healthy growth over the past decade, Hedwig Village has one of the most impressive individual markets in the area. The median sales price of single-family Hedwig homes for sale peaked at almost $2,000,000 in 2015.
Though not as expensive as its immediate neighbors Piney Point and Hunters Creek, Hedwig Village still features some of the most expensive homes in the area. Prices in Hedwig Village can range from just under $1,000,000 to more than $2,700,000.
Lot areas are smaller compared to Piney Point, but are still relatively bigger than in most areas. Lot sizes can range from 10,000 to 30,000 square feet.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Hedwig Village real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at [email protected].
Though Hedwig Village doesn’t enforce deed restrictions like its neighbors, the community does have zoning ordinances and building codes. Like Piney Point and Hunters Creek, single-family homes are the main housing attraction in Hedwig.
Homes in the area range from old ranch-style homes to mini-manors. Styles and home sizes vary, though most feature ample living space and large lots.
Floor plans can include 4 bedrooms and 4 baths, though more luxurious properties can feature 7/6 floor plans.
Like most of the Memorial Villages, older homes in Hedwig tend to sell for lower prices compared to more modern, custom-built homes. The Hedwig real estate market has another thing in common with its neighbors: a teardown trend replacing older ranch-style homes with custom-built mansions.
Townhomes are not very popular in the Memorial Villages in general. Most Hedwig Village real estate feature detached, single-family homes. There are townhomes available in nearby areas.
In the early 1900s, farms and sawmills populated the Memorial area. The village’s name itself is a nod to this early history, as it was named after Hedwig Road.
The road was named after Hedwig Jankowski Schroeder, who settled in the area in 1906 with her husband to farm. The German couple had donated a portion of their farm on which the road was built.
During the 1950s and 60s, development in the area started in earnest. The Katy Freeway’s development, along with Houston’s suburban boom, ushered in the development of upper-middle-class subdivisions along the Buffalo Bayou. Commercial establishments bloomed along the freeway. Houston was growing and was looking to extend its borders.
Along with the other 5 villages, Hedwig Village aimed to prevent annexation and preserve the area’s country-living atmosphere. The municipality was officially incorporated in December 1954 with a mayor-council form of government.
Hedwig Village is served by the Villages Fire Department and the Memorial Villages Water Authority. The city operates its own police department.
A year after the city’s incorporation, Hedwig Village adopted zoning ordinances. Unlike the other villages, Hedwig doesn’t enforce deed restrictions, instead welcoming the commercial establishments along the Katy Freeway.
Today, Hedwig Village is an interesting mix of older single-family ranch-style homes, elegant mini-mansions, award-winning schools, stores, and restaurants.
Hedwig Village is unique among the Memorial Villages for having commercial establishments within its borders. Residents have easy access to retail, entertainment, and dining options.
Opened in 1974, the Hedwig Village Shopping Center features a number of stores and is located along Katy Freeway and Mustang Lane. The Echo Lane Shopping Center, on the other side of Mustang Lane and Katy Freeway, also offers retail and dining options.
Other shopping and entertainment options are readily available and are easily accessible via the I-10. The Memorial City Mall, the CityCentre, and The Galleria are minutes away from Hedwig Village.
Golf courses and country clubs are also within easy reach. Members-only clubs like the Lakeside Country Club, the Houston Country Club, and the Houston Racquet Club are located in nearby villages. A top-rated, 18-hole municipal golf course, the Memorial Park Golf Course, is a few minutes’ drive away from Hedwig Village.
Residents can also find numerous entertainment, retail, and cultural options in key Houston hotspots like Downtown and the Museum District.
Here are some of Hedwig Village Texas must-visit places:
- Hunan Inn Restaurant
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- Memorial Bakery
- LongHorn Steakhouse
- Firehouse Subs
- La Fiesta
- Russo’s New York Pizzeria
- Southwell’s Hamburger Grill
- A Moveable Feast
- Kobe Japanese
- Goode Company Seafood
- Pappasito’s Cantina
- Taste of Texas
- Jonathan’s The Rub
- Hedwig Village Shopping Center
- Echo Lane Shopping Center
- Memorial City Mall
- The Galleria
- Katy Reed Shopping Center
Country Clubs and Golf Courses
- Lakeside Country Club
- Houston Country Club
- Memorial Park Golf Course
- Houston Racquet Club
- Hedwig Park
- Memorial Park
- Terry Hershey Park
- Bendwood Park
- Corbindale Road Park
- Super H Mart
- Trader Joe’s Central Market
- 99 Ranch Market
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, Houston Business Journal and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin, a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and head of the Houston Properties Team, is ranked as one of the top residential real estate agents in the world.
Paige Martin’s recent awards include
- 2016: One of the Top 25 Residential Realtors in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2016: Five Star Realtor, Featured in Texas Monthly
- 2016: One of America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015 Q3: #9 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide (of 125,000 agents)
- 2015: #2 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Southwest Texas (Houston, Woodlands, Katy, San Antonio)
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams Memorial
- 2015: One of America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: One of the Top 25 Residential Realtors in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2015: Five Star Realtor, Featured in Texas Monthly Magazine
- 2014 – #1 Ranked Individual Agent, Keller Williams Memorial
- 2014 – “One of the Top 40 Houston Realtors,” Houston Chronicle
- 2014 – “One of America’s Best Real Estate Agents,” RealTrends.com
- 2014 – Five Star Realtor, Featured in Texas Monthly Magazine
- 2013 – #1 Ranked Individual Agent, Keller Williams Memorial
- 2013 – Top 50 Houston Realtors by the Houston Chronicle
- 2013 – Top 5 Ranked Individual Agent in the Houston Area with Keller Williams
- 2013 – Five Star Realtor, Featured in Texas Monthly Magazine
- 2012 – #1 Ranked Individual Agent in the Keller Williams Memorial Office
- 2012 – Top 5 Ranked Individual Agent in the Houston Area with Keller Williams
- 2011 – #1 Ranked Individual Agent in the Keller Williams Memorial Office
- 2011 – Top 10 Ranked Individual Agent in the Houston Area with Keller Williams
- 2010 – #1 Ranked Individual Agent in the Keller Williams Memorial Office
- 2010 – Top 10 Ranked Individual Agent in the Houston Area with Keller Williams
Paige works with a tremendous number of buyers and sellers within Hedwig Village, earning praises like “Paige Martin is the best Hedwig Village TX realtor I know.” Read more about client feedback and ratings here.
For a specific recommendation of neighborhoods, homes or properties based upon your personal style, goals & price point, please contact Paige Martin, head of the Houston Properties Team & Broker Associate at [email protected] or 713-384-5177.