Southgate Houston Homes For Sale, Neighborhood Guide
Named for its location near Rice University’s south gate, the neighborhood features a mix of renovated vintage homes and new construction homes.
- PROXIMITY TO MED CENTER: The Texas Medical Center is one of Houston’s major employment hubs, with around 100,000 employees and volunteers. The district features more than 50 world class medical institutions, schools, hospitals, and specialty centers.
- QUICK ACCESS TO OTHER KEY DISTRICTS: Southgate is nestled directly south of Rice University and east of the Museum District and Hermann Park. Downtown Houston is a short drive away (>5 miles), though residents can opt to take the METRORail Red Line instead.
- ACTIVE COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION: The Southgate Civic Club is responsible for maintaining common areas, enforcing the community’s deed restrictions, and organizing events.
- GREAT COMMUNITY ATMOSPHERE: Tree-lined streets and vintage cottages inspire a small-town vibe within Southgate. The neighborhood’s deed restrictions, limiting each homesite to a single-family dwelling with ample setbacks, help maintain the atmosphere within its borders.
- EXCELLENT SCHOOLS: Two IB World Schools are zoned to Southgate homes: Lamar High School and Roberts Elementary School. Both serve International Baccalaureate programs (Diploma and Primary Years, respectively). Students in the area may attend Pershing Middle School, but can opt to go to Pin Oak Middle School, a highly rated National Blue Ribbon School. (See Best Houston Neighborhoods With Top Houston Schools)
- RISING PROPERTY VALUES: Southgate is one of Houston’s Hottest Inner Loop Neighborhoods. Median sales price is at over $800,000. Land values have also posting significant increases over the past decade.
Buying or selling a Southgate home can be tricky. The community’s strict deed restrictions and low inventories can present challenges, as well as its older homes (some of which may need extensive renovations). Contact Paige Martin, one of Houston’s Best Realtors and one of Southgate’s most active real estate agents, if you’re looking to buy or sell Southgate homes for sale.
POPULAR Southgate TX RESOURCES
One of Houston’s Hottest Inner Loop Neighborhoods, Southgate features a mix of new construction homes and vintage homes dating back to the 1930s and 40s.
- The Texas Medical Center is one of Houston’s major employment hubs, with around 100,000 employees and volunteers. The district features more than 50 world class medical institutions, schools, hospitals, and specialty centers.
- Southgate is nestled directly south of Rice University and east of the Museum District and Hermann Park. Downtown Houston is a short drive away (>5 miles), though residents can opt to take the METRORail Red Line instead.
- The Southgate Civic Club is responsible for maintaining common areas, enforcing the community’s deed restrictions, and organizing events.
- Tree-lined streets and vintage cottages inspire a small-town vibe within Southgate. The neighborhood’s deed restrictions, limiting each homesite to a single-family dwelling with ample setbacks, help maintain the atmosphere within its borders.
- Two IB World Schools are zoned to Southgate homes: Lamar High School and Roberts Elementary School. Both serve International Baccalaureate programs (Diploma and Primary Years, respectively). Students in the area may attend Pershing Middle School, but can opt to go to Pin Oak Middle School, a highly rated National Blue Ribbon School.
- Southgate is one of Houston’s Hottest Inner Loop Neighborhoods. Median sales price is at over $800,000. Land values have also posting significant increases over the past decade.
- Developed in the 1930s, Southgate predates the Medical Center. Some of the community’s original homes have been updated and renovated. Others have since been torn down to make way for newer homes.
- Compared to nearby neighborhoods like Boulevard Oaks, Southampton Place and West University Place, Southgate homes are slightly more affordable.
- Southgate homes typically feature 3-bedroom floor plans, spread over 1,500 to more than 4,500 square feet of living space.
- Homes tend to sit on mid-sized lots (by Houston standards) ranging from 5,000 to around 8,000 square feet.
- Architectural styles lean more toward traditional designs. New construction homes in the neighborhood come with more contemporary/modern looks.
- Pricing for Southgate homes for sale can start at around $600,000. New construction in the neighborhood can fetch upwards of $2,000,000.
Southgate is bordered by University Boulevard on the north, Travis Street on the east, Holcombe Boulevard on the south, and Greenbriar Street on the west. The area known as Southgate Annex is located east of Main Street.
The neighborhood is divided into 4 sections, each with its own set of deed restrictions.
Known for its oak tree canopies and beautiful vintage homes, Southgate also boasts of having great access to key Houston neighborhoods like the Museum District, Rice University, and the Texas Medical Center. West University, an upscale independent city, is a few minutes west of Southgate.
The Museum District, covering a 1.5-mile radius around the Mecom Fountain, boasts of 20 member-institutions (including museums, art galleries, and cultural centers). Hermann Park, one of the district’s members, features a public golf course and is home to the Houston Zoo.
The Texas Medical Center, on the other hand, is one of the Bayou City’s major employment centers. The Med Center has over 50 medical centers, institutions, and academic centers with more than 100,000 employees and volunteers.
Southgate real estate have a 77030 zip code. (View Houston zip code map.)
– “One of America’s Best Real Estate Agents,” Real Trends
– Five Star Realtor Award, Multi-Year Winner
– “One of Houston’s Top 50 Realtors,” Houston Chronicle
Southgate homes are zoned to the Houston Independent School District (HISD).
Established in the 1920s, Houston ISD is the largest school district in the state (with 283 schools). The Texas Education Agency (TEA) gave the district a “Met Standard” rating in 2016. HISD features several International Baccalaureate (IB) World schools, including Lamar High School and Roberts Elementary School.
Students zoned to Pershing Middle School may opt to attend Pin Oak, a National Blue Ribbon School, instead.
Students in the area may attend the following public schools:
- Roberts Elementary School at 6000 Greenbriar St. Oran M. Roberts Elementary School is a multi-award winning school located within Southgate. It has been recognized as an Honor Roll School by the Texas Business and Education Coalition (TBEC), and as an Exemplary School by the Texas Education Administration (TEA). Apart from its Vanguard program, the school also serves an International Baccalaureate program and a Fine Arts magnet program.
- Pershing Middle School at 3838 Blue Bonnet Blvd. Located in nearby Braeswood Place, John J. Pershing Middle School offers a wide array of academic programs. Along with its neighborhood, gifted and talented, and a Fine Arts magnet programs, Pershing is also known for its enrichment programs.
- Pin Oak Middle School at 4601 Glenmont St. Pin Oak is a one of the most highly regarded schools in the HISD and has been recognized as a TEA Exemplary School and a National Blue Ribbon School. Students zoned to Pershing can opt to apply into Pin Oak’s regular program and Foreign Languages magnet program.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. Located in Upper Kirby, Lamar is highly regarded for both its academic and athletics programs. It is home to the Lamar Texans, and offers a business magnet, neighborhood, and AP programs. Lamar is also one of the HISD’s International Baccalaureate World schools, with one of the largest IB Diploma programs in the state.
Southgate Houston Private Schools
Credit to the neighborhood’s proximity to Rice University and the Texas Medical Center, Southgate homes have plenty of private school from which to choose. Listed below are some of them.
- St. Nicholas School Medical Center Campus at 1920 North Braeswood Blvd.
- St. Vincent de Paul School at 6800 Buffalo Speedway.
- Episcopal High School at 4650 Bissonnet St.
- St. Mark’s Episcopal School at 3816 Bellaire Blvd.
- Beresford School at 2501 W Holcombe Blvd.
- Children’s Hour Montessori School at 2227 Dorrington Street
- Sheridan Montessori School at 2433 Sheridan Street
- Diamond-A-Cat-A-Me at 6955 Almeda Road
- Creative Minds Development Center at 2479 S Braeswood Blvd.
To find an updated listing of all Southgate real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com with the property preference and budget that you’re working with.
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
Southgate is among the 14 Hottest Inner Loop Neighborhoods, posting impressive real estate appreciation rates in the past decade.
Median sales price is at over $800,000, while price per square foot is upwards of $300. Raw land prices are also on the rise.
The neighborhood’s rising property values can be attributed to its steady popularity. Its location near the Texas Medical Center, active community, and picturesque environment continue to draw homebuyers into the area.
(Data sourced from the Houston Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service and is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.)
For updated information regarding Southgate real estate pricing and trend analysis, please contact Paige Martin at Paige@HoustonProperties.com.
Southgate is made up of mostly single-family homes on (by Houston standards) medium-sized lots. Lot sizes can range from 5,000 to just a little under 8,000 square feet.
An average Southgate home can feature 3 bedrooms and 2 and a half baths. Larger homes can offer a 5/4/2 floor plan, with one- or two-story construction. Architectural styles vary, though most homes in the area lean more toward traditional aesthetics.
A number of Southgate’s original homes from the 1930s and 40s have been gorgeously renovated and maintained. Others have since been replaced with custom-built homes. Newer construction homes tend to sell for higher prices than older Southgate homes for sale.
Prices for Southgate homes for sale range from over $600,000 to over $2,000,000.
There are no mid- or high-rise Southgate condos for sale, but plenty of units are available in surrounding areas like the Museum District and River Oaks. Condos in the Galleria/Uptown area and Downtown are also popular options.
Developed in the 1930s, Southgate was heavily marketed as a “new American residential subdivision” and was prized even then for its proximity to Rice University, access to Main Street, and its affordable homes.
Southgate, Inc. developed 554 of the subdivision’s original homesites and only put up 200 for sale during its initial offering.
The area’s deed restrictions also date back to this period. A number of the neighborhood’s original homes have been heavily renovated and carefully maintained.
At the time, homes in the neighborhood were priced to sell. Today, thanks to its great location and accessibility, Southgate is one of Houston’s most expensive neighborhoods and has one of the best real estate appreciation rates in the Inner Loop.
Apart from its great access to Houston’s finest educational and medical institutions, Southgate also benefits from its proximity to the Museum District and Hermann Park.
The Museum District is a few minutes away from the neighborhood, and features 19 museums and institutions within a 1.5-mile radius of the Mecom Fountain. The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, the Children’s Museum of Houston, and the Houston Museum of Natural Science are among the most visited spots in the district.
Hermann Park, one of Houston’s most popular destinations, is a 445-acre public park that houses the Houston Zoo, the Miller Outdoor Theatre, the Houston Garden Center, and the Hermann Park Golf Course.
Several attractions and facilities are available at the park, including several jogging trails, playgrounds, gardens, and even pedal boats. The area also teems with dining, retail, and entertainment options.
Here are some of Southgate Houston must-visit places:
- Maxwell Street Grill
- Number 1 Chicken Rice & Seafood
- Bowl Cafe
- Davis Street at Hermann Park
- Bowl Cafe
- The Raven Grill
- Bodegas Taco Shop
- Pax Americana
- Museum Park Cafe
- Reggae Hut
- Pinewood Cafe
- Black Hole Coffee Houst
- Green Seed Vegan
- The Lexington Grille
- Papa Mio Italian Cafe
- Reckling Park
- Texas A&M University Park
- Hermann Park
- Monarch Restaurant & Lounge
- Grand Prize Bar
- Absinthe Brasserie
- Revelry on Richmond
- Ruthie’s Place
- Bar 5015
- Kaiser’s Korner Pub
- The Alley Kat Bar & Lounge
- Bosta Wine and Coffee
- Mosaic Bar and Lounge
- Japanese Garden
- Houston Zoo
- Miller Outdoor Theatre
- Hermann Park Golf Course
- Museum of Natural Science
- Children’s Museum
- Holocaust Museum
- Asia Society Texas Center
- Czech Center Museum
- African American Culture
- Center for Contemporary Craft
- Lawndale Art Center
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Contemporary Arts Museum
- Jung Center of Houston
- Rice Art Gallery
As featured on Fox News in the Morning, Houston Business Journal and Houston Magazine, Paige Martin, a consistent Top Producing Broker-Associate and head of the Houston Properties Team, is ranked as one of the top residential real estate agents in the world.