The Ultimate Houston Relocation Guide
Relocating to Houston? Our experts created a complete Houston relocation guide with neighborhood comparisons, schools info, cost of living data, and homebuying assistance.
Are you considering relocating to Houston?
If so, it could be one of the best moves you’ve ever made!
Here are a few quick stats on the Bayou City:
Houston’s the fourth largest city in the nation.
Houston is one of the top cities for job creation.
Houston’s average wage is one of the best in the nation (including cost-of-living adjustments).
Houston homes are ranked as some of the most affordable in the nation.
Houston’s Medical Center has the world’s largest concentration of health care.
With 56,405 acres of parks, we’re one of the “greenest” cities.”
Houston has one of the country’s best food and cultural scenes.
As Houston covers over 600 square miles (and has approximately 6 million people in the MSA) it can be a little daunting to understand the best way to move to Houston.
HoustonProperties has over 1,000 pages on Houston real estate information. We’ve put our best 74 pages (maps, trends and school information) in our Free Houston Relocation Guide - get your copy now.
It can be confusing when finally making a decision on which neighborhood or property to choose with all the available information out there about Houston. Remove the guesswork in relocating and get the advice of the best realtor in Houston.
Table of Contents
- Houston Most Popular Guides
- Why Houston?
- Houston Maps & Neighborhoods
- Neighborhood Guides By Amenities
- Types Of Houston Homes
- The Best Houston Realtor to Sell Your Home
Houston Most Popular Guides
"Paige Martin is a customer-focused Houston Realtor (member of the National Association of Realtors) dedicated to providing exceptional service. Paige guides clients through all aspects of learning about Houston, relocating to Houston, buying a home, buying a highrise or condo, tips for selling your home, and ensuring that your transaction goes as seamlessly as possible.
Guide To Houston's Best Neighborhoods
Take a virtual tour of Houston's Best Neighborhoods! See complete Houston neighborhood profiles, 10-year real estate trends, maps, homes for sale, luxury real estate pictures, and more!
Best Houston Relocation Guide And Packet
Grab a copy of the best Houston Relocation Packet! Get a comprehensive Houston neighborhoods guide, virtual tours and overviews, homebuying assistance, custom neighborhood
Guide To The 17 Best Suburbs Near Downtown
Considering a home outside the heart of Houston as you’re looking for more space, more top-ranked schools, or more affordable homes? Then this resource guide is for you.
Guide To The 20 Hottest Inner Loop Neighborhoods
Houston’s Inner Loop is one of the top-ranked regions within Texas. 20 neighborhoods stand out with the best real estate appreciation over the past year. See them all here.
26 Best Luxury Gated Communities In Houston
Houston’s close-in neighborhoods offer more than 100 gated communities. We ranked the 26 luxury gated neighborhoods and are within 35 minutes of The Loop.
Greater Memorial Houston Guide
Memorial is made up of several neighborhoods, gated communities, and independent cities. Memorial real estate are some of the Bayou City’s most desirable and most expensive
The Houston Heights is an exciting neighborhood of 3,700 homes. The Heights has experienced tremendous property appreciation and development over the past decade.
20 Most Expensive Houston Neighborhoods
Houston has 10 of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the nation. See which communities made the "20 Most Expensive Houston Neighborhoods" list.
Houston real estate is hyper-local. Don't rely on raw averages. Contact us for more meaningful information about Houston and its neighborhoods.
Houston by the Numbers
Quick Facts About Houston
Houston has the 2nd most number of Fortune 500 companies in the US
Houston has an average job growth rate of 3.5%, with Education, Health, and Construction sectors posting above the national average growth rate
Houston has the 6th lowest cost of living among the nation’s 20 most populous metropolitan areas
Houston’s average paycheck of $65,000 is 13% higher than average salaries in the nation
Houston homes are some of the most affordable at 58.8% below average compared to the 20 most populous metropolitan areas
With 21 hospitals, 8 academic and research institutions, and a number of medical schools and public health organizations, Houston is home to the largest medical center in the world
Houston is one of the 10 greenest cities in the US with our 56,405 acres of parks and more than 400 miles of hike and bike trails
Houston’s 6 cultural districts and 19 museums within a 1.5-mile radius make us a hub for arts and culture
We cultivate some of the smartest minds in the nation with 3 Tier One research universities
Houston’s lively culinary scene offers more than 10,000 restaurants representing more than 70 countries and regions
Read More Astounding Houston Construction Stats
Commerce and Jobs
In the 1980s, most of Houston’s employment was tied to the oil & gas sector. Now Houston has widened its economic base, lessening its energy exposure by 70%.
Houston’s other primary industries include:
Retail And Food Services
The Health Care industry alone accounts for one in every 10 jobs in the region, 9.5 percent of local payroll, and more than 48,000 jobs created since the end of the Great Recession.
Read More About Houston’s Energy Exposure
Food and Culture
Houston has a diverse culture where food, arts, and entertainment thrive, recognized as the “newest capital of great food”, and a “cultural powerhouse”.
One of the most popular places in the area is Downtown Houston’s Historic District, a block filled with traditional (but well-preserved) architecture, tree-lined streets, eclectic mix of sidewalk cafes, pubs, and nighttime hotspots.
Houston’s Museum District is home to 19 museums all housing various exhibits centered around culture and arts. For instance, the Museum of Fine Arts is among the largest museums in the nation.
Read More About Downtown's Historic District Hotspots
Houston offers the advantages of big-city living with a moderate price tag.
Houston’s cost of living stretches the city’s median paycheck better than any US city. Even high-profile cities like New York, Los Angeles or San Francisco pale in comparison to Houston due to the cheaper consumer prices and services, utilities, and transportation costs.
Most importantly, Houston has one of the lowest median home prices to median household income ratios (2.9). The 2.9 ratio is surprisingly low considering Houston’s dynamic urban region. As a comparison, San Francisco homes for sale go 6.7 times the median local household income.
Read More About Impressive Houston Real Estate Trends
Houston is one of the greenest metro cities and home to some of the largest urban public parks in the nation.
Memorial Park covers 1,466 acres and is one of the most popular places to run in the city. It houses tennis courts, volleyball courts, skating rinks, a fitness center, a swimming pool, bike trails, and playing fields.
Hermann Park covers 445 acres and offers several outdoor recreations including a garden center, outdoor theatre, hike-and-bike trails, and golf course.
HoustonProperties has over 1,000 pages of Houston real estate information. We’ve put our best 74 pages (maps, trends and school information) in our Free Houston Relocation Guide - get your copy now.
Houston Maps & Neighborhoods
“As first time buyers in the US, we are delighted to have worked with Paige. She is a delight to work with, and I would recommend anyone to enlist her help if you’re looking to either buy or sell a property.” - Gail & Ian Mackey
Houston’s Inner Loop is one of the top-ranked regions within the state of Texas.
Over the last years, Houston expanded total employment by more than 200,000 jobs – with most jobs within 15 minutes of the Inner Loop.
Houston Inner Loop real estate offers diverse options from quaint deed-restricted subdivisions to luxury condominiums.
Read More About Houston’s Hottest Inner Loop Neighborhoods
The Houston Heights is one of the Bayou City’s older neighborhoods and one of the first planned communities in the state.
Houston Heights features three historic districts where deed restrictions are in place to keep the neighborhood’s character and charm.
Houston Heights real estate have posted some of the most impressive appreciation rates in the last 10 years.
Read More About Houston Heights Neighborhood Guide
Western Houston is made up of several neighborhoods, gated communities, and independent cities.
Western Houston real estate are some of the most desirable and most expensive in the Bayou City.
Conveniently located a few miles from Downtown, Western Houston offers plenty of green spaces and outdoor recreation including the acclaimed Memorial Park.
Read More About Houston’s Most Expensive Neighborhoods
Top-Ranked Houston Suburbs
Houston’s best suburbs offer more space, more top-ranked schools, and more affordability, within 45 minutes of Downtown.
Houston’s best suburbs feature luxury community amenities and urban conveniences without the hustle and bustle of the city.
Read More About Houston’s Top Suburbs
Neighborhood Guides By Amenities
"Buying a house in Houston with The Houston Properties Team was just the start of our relationship. They helped me build friends, relationships and support as new residents in Houston. They truly went above and beyond to help make our lives better even after our move." – Brandon, Google Review
10 Most Accessible Houston Neighborhoods
According to Forbes Magazine, Houston is the most “walkable major city in Texas.” and the 23rd most “walkable city in the United States.” See which neighborhoods made the list.
Best Condos Near The Houston Metrorail
Homebuyers looking to buy a Houston condo along the METRORail have 21 options (plus a few honorable mentions). We list them all and plot them on a map.
Downtown Houston Lofts & Condos Guide
Downtown Houston is home to over 150,000 workers and 3,500 businesses. Here's the complete guide to the 25+ condos and lofts Downtown.
Guide To Inner Loop Houston Condos
Inner Loop condo residents are a few blocks from parks, running trails, and numerous entertainment hubs like restaurants, museums, and shopping centers.
Guide To Galleria Houston Condos
Galleria is one of Houston's most exciting districts. The area provides one of the best highrise lifestyles in the city. See all the luxury condos and highrises within Galleria.
Guide To Houston Medical Center Condos
With its premier healthcare institutions, research centers, and academic institutions, the Texas Medical Center is one of Houston’s largest employment centers.
19 Best Golf Course Communities in Houston
We list 19 luxury neighborhoods that feature a well-ranked golf course and are within 35 minutes of Houston’s Inner Loop.
Guide To The Best Houston Patio Homes
New patio homes in Houston are single-family, free-standing homes on small lots. Find the best patio homes for sale in Houston here!
Complete Guide To The Best Houston Townhomes
Townhomes are one of the fastest-growing housing types in Houston as they offer abundant space, have low maintenance, and are usually less expensive than single-family homes and condos.
Tour All Of Houston Multi Family Homes
Multi-family homes are becoming an easier solution to buying a larger more expensive home for close family and friends. Find them all here.
Guide To New Construction Houston Condos
Houston is 3rd US city with the most number of new constructions. Our city also now ranks 7th in Emporis’ list of “North American Cities With Most Number Of Highrise Developments”.
Guide To The Best Houston Luxury Condos
Houston condos offer basic amenities like gated access, parking, etc. Some luxury highrises take it one step further with concierge services, resort-style pools, tennis courts, saunas.
Types Of Houston Homes
Buying a home in Houston is exciting but can also be challenging. Contact us today for a custom list of properties zoned to top-ranked schools, close to major job centers, and with above-average lot sizes.
Houston single-family homes are the most affordable among the top 10 most populated metropolitan areas in the United States.
Single-family homes in Houston cost approximately 40% less than the average prices of 26 metropolitan locations in the US.
Townhomes are one of the fastest-growing housing types in Houston as they offer abundant space and have low maintenance.
Houston townhouses serve as a “middle-ground” between single-family homes and condos because of the trade-offs – less expensive than single-family homes and offer more privacy than condominiums.
Houston ranks #7 in the nation for new highrise developments, with 28 new highrises under construction and 83 under “approved/proposed” status.
Some of Houston’s newest luxury highrises include Astoria, Belfiore, The Wilshire, and The Marlowe.
The Best Houston Realtor to Sell Your Home
The Houston Properties Team has a well-defined structure based on the individual strengths of each member. Each member is a specialist in their role – which is why our homes sell faster and for more money than average.
Paige Martin, Broker Associate with Keller Williams Realty, and the Houston Properties Team are ranked among the top residential Realtors in the world.
They have been featured on TV and in dozens of publications including The Wall Street Journal, Fortune Magazine, Reuters, Fox News in the Morning, Money Magazine, Houston Business Journal, Houstonia, and Houston Chronicle.
Paige Martin was just ranked as the #5 agent in the world with Keller Williams, completing over $1 Billion in Houston residential real estate sales.
Recent awards include:
– 2022: #1 Residential Real Estate Team by Sales Volume, Houston Business Journal
– 2021: Best Real Estate Teams in America, RealTrends.com
– 2021: Top 100 Women Leaders in Real Estate of 2021
– 2021: America’s Top 100 Real Estate Agents
– 2021: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2021: Best Houston Real Estate Team, Best of Reader’s Choice
– 2021: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2021: #1 Real Estate Team, Keller Williams Memorial
– 2020: America’s Best Real Estate Teams, Best of America Trends
– 2020: Best Houston Real Estate Team, Best of Reader’s Choice
– 2020: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2020: #6 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
– 2020: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas (Top Keller Williams Realtor)
– 2020: #1 Real Estate Team, Keller Williams Memorial
- 2019: Top Residential Realtors in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2019: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2019: #5 Individual Agent, KW Worldwide
- 2019: #1 Individual Agent, KW Texas
- 2018: #5 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2018: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2018: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2018: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2018: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2018: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2017: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2017: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2017: #10 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2017: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2017: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2017: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2016: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2016: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2016: #20 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2016: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2016: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, HBJ
- 2016: Five Star Realtor, Featured in Texas Monthly
- 2016: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: #9 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, United States
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2015: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, HBJ
- 2015: Five Star Realtor, Texas Monthly Magazine
- 2014: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2014: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams Memorial
...in addition to over 318 additional awards.
Paige also serves a variety of non-profits, and civic and community boards. She was appointed by the mayor of Houston to be on the downtown TIRZ board.
Benefits Of Working With The Houston Properties Team
Our team, composed of distinguished and competent Houston luxury realtors, has a well-defined structure based on the individual strengths of each member.
We find team approach as the most effective way to sell homes. We have dedicated people doing staging, marketing, social media, open houses, and showings. Each Houston Properties Team member is a specialist in their role—which is why our homes sell faster and for more money than average.
The benefits of working with a team include:
- the ability to be in two or three places at one time; a member can handle showings, while another answer calls
- collective time and experience of members
- targeted advice and marketing of agent expert in your area
- competitive advantage by simply having more resources, more ideas, and more perspectives
- a “checks and balances” system; selling and buying a home in Houston is an intensely complex process
- more people addressing field calls and questions from buyers and agents to facilitate a faster, successful sale
- efficient multi-tasking; one agent takes care of inspections and repair work, while another agent focuses on administrative details
- multiple marketing channels using members’ networks
- constant attention: guaranteed focus on your home and your transaction
- lower risk for mistakes. Multiple moving parts increase oversights. A team approach handles these “parts” separately
- flexibility in negotiation and marketing
- better management of document flow
- increased foot traffic through more timely and effective showing schedule coordination; and
- increased sphere of influence and exposure to more potential buyers.
To meet all the award-winning members of the Houston Properties Team, please go here.
Best Houston Real Estate Resources
- Houston Texas Zip Code Map | HoustonProperties
- How To Avoid Buying In Houston's Flooded Zones
- Houston Neighborhoods | Houston Map, Real Estate, Homes
- Medical Center South Housing Market | Real Estate Trends & Forecast
- Sell Your Houston Home Fast | A Decluttering Checklist For Home Sellers