8 Intriguing Houston Real Estate Market Statistics
Investing in a Houston real estate property? Learn how the Houston housing market is doing with these eight stats.
UPDATE: We have just released our 2022 Houston Real Estate Market Forecast. Still, you will find the stats here useful for a historical review of the Houston real estate performance.
Buyers encounter multiple offers, backup contracts, and 40 people standing in line to get into an open house.
The 20 Most Expensive Houston Neighborhoods and 14 Hottest Inner Loop Neighborhoods lists show numbers that are both promising and intriguing.
The question is . . . IS THIS SUSTAINABLE? Here are 8 shocking Houston real estate statistics to give you some insight.
The Houston Properties Team went above and beyond during the home buying and selling process. We first worked with Paige and her team in 2012 and chose to work with them again in 2021. Their knowledge of the market and trends by neighborhood made them trusted advisors and helped us negotiate the best prices. Additionally, they were with us every step of the way to ensure things were as simple and efficient as possible for us. They also have a fabulous list of contractors. We were especially happy with their recommendations for painting walls and refinishing floors before we moved in.” – Jessica Graham
Table of Contents
- 8 Facts You Need To Know About The Houston Real Estate Market
- Resources and Disclosure
- The Best Houston Realtor to Sell Your Home
8 Facts You Need To Know About The Houston Real Estate Market
Remember: Houston real estate statistics here are local. For a custom report on how your home or neighborhood is doing, complete the information in the box below, or for a custom home value report please email Paige Martin at PMartin@HoustonProperties.com.
1) Houston has the lowest home inventory in 13 years
Housing inventory has dipped to a 13-year low of 3.5 months as the number of available properties declined 22.1 percent. The number of available homes for sale is at its lowest point.
2) Houston Home Sales Jumped 17% From Last Year
Sales continue their strong push, marked by the 17% surge compared to last year. Currently on a 22-month roll, homes in Houston continue to soar with record-breaking numbers of single-family, condos, and townhouses sales.
3) Condos & Townhome Sales Up 47% Year Over Year
Houston townhouses & condominiums sales rocketed up 47.1 percent from the number of sold units a year prior. Inventory is also markedly down to 3.7 months from the prior year's 6.8 months level.
4) Six “Close In” Houston Neighborhoods Posted 10%+ Appreciation Last Year
Comparing the average sold price per square feet, six “Close In” Houston neighborhoods experienced double digit appreciation: Westbury (20%), SouthSide Place (17%), Houston Heights (13%), Woodland Heights (12%), Southgate (12%) and Meyerland (11%).
5) 49,800 People Relocated To Houston
Forbes' Migration Data shows that an average of 4,100 people moved to Houston per month last year. With companies like Chevron, Direct Energy, and Exxon relocating employees to Houston, the Houston housing market benefits from increased demand.
6) Home Prices Rose By 6.5% From Last Year's Data
Home rates are appreciating due to low supply and added demand. The single-family home median price rose to 6.5 percent, an all-time high. The average price rose 4.6 percent year-over-year, the second-highest level ever.
7) Housing starts to rise at 32%
Builders started 6,442 new Houston homes and are on track to start construction on 28,000 properties. Homes under construction are twice the size of recently finished homes (supply is at 1.9 months) and are expected to address growing demand.
8) Houston Added 118,700 Jobs Over the Past 12 Months
With 118,700 new jobs and a full 1% drop in the unemployment rate (to 6.3%), Metrostudy's report ranks Houston on top in annual job growth. With 75,000 more jobs expected before the year ends and a 3.2% annual job growth for the next 5 years, Houston's economy is projected to expand and increase the employment base.
Resources and Disclosure
“Paige and The Houston Properties Team helped our family buy and sell five different homes. She’s the best realtor in Houston because she’s extremely knowledgeable and very candid. On the buyer side, she will absolutely tell you what’s wrong with a property and give you all of the reasons not to buy it. She has the best marketing of anyone we’ve ever seen and she knows everything about the best neighborhoods in Houston. She is THE BEST Houston Realtor!” – Scott & Debi Gordon
Resources for Houston real estate statistics in this article include:
Houston Association of Realtors MLS database for the average price paid per square foot within select neighborhoods, Forbes America's Fastest Growing Cities, Forbes Houston's Business Climate Heats Up, Forbes Where Americans Are Moving, and Top 10 Healthiest Housing Markets
Data is deemed accurate but is not guaranteed. Information is provided for informational purposes only.
The Best Houston Realtor to Sell Your Home
The Houston Properties Team has a well-defined structure based on the individual strengths of each member. Each member is a specialist in their role – which is why our homes sell faster and for more money than average.
Paige Martin, Broker Associate with Keller Williams Realty, and the Houston Properties Team are ranked among the top residential Realtors in the world.
They have been featured on TV and in dozens of publications including The Wall Street Journal, Fortune Magazine, Reuters, Fox News in the Morning, Money Magazine, Houston Business Journal, Houstonia, and Houston Chronicle.
Paige Martin was just ranked as the #5 agent in the world with Keller Williams, completing over $1 Billion in Houston residential real estate sales.
Her recent awards include:
– 2021 Best Real Estate Teams in America, RealTrends.com
– 2021: Top 100 Women Leaders in Real Estate of 2021
– 2021: America’s Top 100 Real Estate Agents
– 2021: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2021: Best Houston Real Estate Team, Best of Reader’s Choice
– 2021: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2021: #1 Real Estate Team, Keller Williams Memorial
– 2020: America’s Best Real Estate Teams, Best of America Trends
– 2020: Best Houston Real Estate Team, Best of Reader’s Choice
– 2020: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2020: #6 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
– 2020: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas (Top Keller Williams Realtor)
– 2020: #1 Real Estate Team, Keller Williams Memorial
- 2019: Top Residential Realtors in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2019: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2019: #5 Individual Agent, KW Worldwide
- 2019: #1 Individual Agent, KW Texas
- 2018: #5 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2018: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2018: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2018: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2018: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2018: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2017: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2017: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2017: #10 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2017: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2017: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2017: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2016: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2016: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2016: #20 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2016: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2016: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, HBJ
- 2016: Five Star Realtor, Featured in Texas Monthly
- 2016: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: #9 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, United States
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2015: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, HBJ
- 2015: Five Star Realtor, Texas Monthly Magazine
- 2014: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2014: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams Memorial
...in addition to over 318 additional awards.
Paige also serves a variety of non-profits, and civic and community boards. She was appointed by the mayor of Houston to be on the downtown TIRZ board.
Benefits Of Working With The Houston Properties Team
Our team, composed of distinguished and competent Houston luxury realtors, has a well-defined structure based on the individual strengths of each member.
We find team approach as the most effective way to sell homes. We have dedicated people doing staging, marketing, social media, open houses, and showings. Each Houston Properties Team member is a specialist in their role—which is why our homes sell faster and for more money than average.
The benefits of working with a team include:
- the ability to be in two or three places at one time; a member can handle showings, while another answer calls
- collective time and experience of members
- targeted advice and marketing of agent expert in your area
- competitive advantage by simply having more resources, more ideas, and more perspectives
- a “checks and balances” system; selling and buying a home in Houston is an intensely complex process
- more people addressing field calls and questions from buyers and agents to facilitate a faster, successful sale
- efficient multi-tasking; one agent takes care of inspections and repair work, while another agent focuses on administrative details
- multiple marketing channels using members’ networks
- constant attention: guaranteed focus on your home and your transaction
- lower risk for mistakes. Multiple moving parts increase oversights. A team approach handles these “parts” separately
- flexibility in negotiation and marketing
- better management of document flow
- increased foot traffic through more timely and effective showing schedule coordination; and
- increased sphere of influence and exposure to more potential buyers.
To meet all the award-winning members of the Houston Properties Team, please go here.
Best Houston Real Estate Resources
- Houston Texas Zip Code Map | HoustonProperties
- How To Avoid Buying In Houston's Flooded Zones
- Houston Neighborhoods | Houston Map, Real Estate, Homes
- East End Housing Market | Real Estate Trends & Forecast
- Galleria Houston Condos Map | Galleria Condos For Sale