A Guide to Houston's Best Ranches & Farms On The Market
The ultimate ranch and farm buyer guide from the number one Realtor™ in Houston!
Before exploring Houston's best farms and ranches, let us give you amazing facts about the great city of Houston.
Here are a few quick stats on the Bayou City:
• Houston’s the fourth largest city in the nation.
• Houston homes are ranked as some of the most affordable in the nation.
• Houston’s Medical Center has the world’s largest concentration of health care.
• Houston has one of the country’s best food and cultural scenes.
• Houston is one of the 10 greenest cities in the US with our 56,405 acres of parks and more than 400 miles of hike and bike trails.
The ranch and farm industries in Houston are becoming more popular as time goes by. In a study conducted by Houston Properties, only about 40 properties were sold under this category back in 2011, but that number tripled just last year.
Land value (Median sales price per sq ft) has also jumped by over 25% in that period. The demand is higher, and there are good deals to be made both for sellers and buyers of farm and ranch-style homes. This is why you have to be careful in choosing the right land for you.
Houston's best realtor, Houston Properties, will guide you in every step of this great venture. We are filled with experts who try to make your buying or selling experience as stress-free as it can be! They navigate their decisions around your interests and always make sure that their actions revolve around your ideas.
Their ability to use their data and resources to help find your perfect home are some of the reasons why they are the #1 boutique real estate team in Houston.
"The Houston Properties Team is filled with experts who try to make your home buying experience as stress free as can be! They navigate their decisions around your interests and always make sure that their actions revolve around your ideas. Their ability to use their data and resources to help find your perfect home are some of the reasons for why they are the #1 boutique real estate team in Houston. They will always put you before themselves in order to make sure that your transition to your new home will be quick and easy." - Christian (Google Review)
Table of Contents
- Why Own a Ranch in Houston?
- Why Sell Your Houston Farm & Ranch Home With Us
- Things to Know Before Buying a Houston Ranch & Farm Home
- Ranch vs Farm: What's the Difference?
- 6 Farms and Ranches to Visit in Houston
- The Best Houston Realtor to Sell Your Home
Why Own a Ranch in Houston?
“We relocated to Texas from out of state 3 years ago, and Paige’s intimate knowledge of Houston neighborhoods, valuations, trends, and pitfalls was simply unmatched. We would never have been able to find our perfect home without her. She was calm and focused when everything seemed most challenging — a true professional and advocate who has become a dear friend. We are grateful to have met her!” - Gretchen & Brad Richter
Owning a ranch can give you tons of great opportunities. With the right management, ranches can provide you with tangible and intangible benefits.
Having a ranch may already sound fantastic, but if you need more convincing, here are the key reasons why you should own a ranch in Houston!
1. One of the biggest benefits of owning a ranch is the potential to make money. Your ranch can be used for raising cattle or growing crops, as a horse boarding business, or even as a bed and breakfast.
2. Investing in a Houston ranch comes with tax benefits that can save you thousands of dollars each year. Ranchers are entitled to agricultural, property, and income tax breaks, as well as exemptions from certain state and local taxes.
3. Having your own ranch means unlimited outdoor fun activities! You can explore the entirety of your land, invite friends and family over for a picnic, or put up a tent right in your backyard. If your property comes with a body of water, you can cast your fishing line and try to reel in as many fish as you can.
4. Owning a ranch in Houston gives you the chance to support the conservation of wildlife and natural resources.
The Texas Farms and Ranch Lands Conservation Program (TFRLCP) also provides grants to private landowners who protect their land from developments.
5. Real estate developments in cities and metro areas need to go through a rigid approval process. However, building on raw land, on the other hand, only requires approval from the local county and municipal governments. With less paperwork and process, you can explore your creativity in developing your ranch or farm home!
6. Nothing compares to the amazing views in Houston ranches. Whether you’re searching for a small ranch for sale or a large estate, you are sure to find a property with the most amazing views.
Why Sell Your Houston Farm & Ranch Home With Us
Work with the best Realtor in Houston to ensure that you’re purchasing a high-quality home at a favorable market value. With over $750 million in real estate sales, Houston Properties is the # 1 Real Estate Team in Houston that can help you.
The Houston Properties Team is the #1 boutique real estate team and #6 worldwide out of over 182,000 Keller Williams agents.
If you choose to list with our team, we can provide you with an unparalleled level of efficiency and customer service that can’t be compared to working with just one individual agent.
Two of our core values are accountability and transparency. We believe these are qualities that every home seller deserves from their agent.
Beyond our sale numbers, awards, and credentials, we’re most proud of our lifelong client relationships that prospered by having an entire team constantly working behind our listings.
The Houston Properties Team has a database of over 30,000 Houston “buyers in waiting” that we’ve been building since 2002. Meanwhile, the average Houston agent’s database has less than 250 buyers.
Through our extensive buyer database, we can share your home with a larger audience and get honest feedback from them.
If you think about it, your future buyer could already be waiting for your home, even before you start listing and marketing it.
Things to Know Before Buying a Houston Ranch & Farm Home
Increase your chances of getting your Houston dream ranch and farmhouse, with these important tips!
Being on the hunt for a property can be a very fun thing, but it can be tricky. Before you make that major purchase, there are several things you’ll want to research and keep in mind to make the experience as positive as possible.
Houston Properties have listed down 6 important things you should know before buying a farm and ranch land!
1. Location, location, location! It will determine the access and proximity to amenities (water, electricity, internet, etc.), public transportation (in the city and between cities), other public services (schools, kindergartens, hospitals, etc.), shops and stores, cafes and restaurants, tourist attractions, etc. Houston Properties can help you find the best ranch with the best location!
2. Groundwater contamination could ruin the entire deal. Find out if there were any dumpsites in the area and hazardous wastes buried on the property. Houston Properties can ensure that the ranch you will buy is safe!
3. Talk to your banker about alternatives to using all cash in the transaction. Land is an illiquid asset, and purchasing it will impact your ranch's liquidity. Your banker can help structure a loan that will enable you to acquire the land while preserving working capital for necessary expenditures.
4. It is extremely important that everybody, realtor, buyer, seller, and anyone else involved in the sale, understands in writing what is included in the transaction. A detailed list of anything you feel you are buying needs to be a part of the contract. Houston Properties will provide you with an extensive list of everything that is included with the sale, no details left behind!
5. Depending on the location of the land you want to buy, there may be certain rights on the lot you are interested in buying that are held by a third party which you may not even be aware of. Several kinds of natural resource rights may include water rights, mineral rights, timber rights, and access rights.
6. It is important to know if your plans for the property will conflict with existing zoning restrictions and if there are conservation easements that could restrict the use of the property. These factors have a significant impact on your property's valuation, particularly if your plans conflict with current zoning restrictions. Make sure you understand the assured leases that may go with the property.
Ranch vs Farm: What's the Difference?
"Expert advice and excellent service – that is what you can expect from Paige Martin and the Houston Properties Team. Their extensive knowledge of the Houston area is fantastic and they are always willing to talk you out of homes that are not right. They give really helpful tips and ensure their clients understand each step of the process. I highly recommend Paige Martin and her team!" – Zachery, Google Review
While these two terms are almost synonymous, the main difference between a farm and a ranch largely depends on how the land is used.
Farms and ranches are closely related, as they are both places where food is grown.
Even though both these entities are responsible for ensuring that only the highest quality food product reaches the consumers, there are some major differences.
Here we have distinguished the two and provided their various types.
What is a Farm?
A farm is an area of land commonly used for agricultural processes that produce food and other crops. It is a basic facility where many food products come from.
There are many kinds of farms, and the term applies to fruit farms, vegetable farms, dairy, poultry, pig farms, and other fields used for harvesting biofuel and natural fibers.
Types of Farms
What is a Ranch?
A ranch is an area of land that usually serves as a place to raise grazing livestock, including sheep, cattle, and lesser-known livestock such as ostrich, elk, American bison, or emu. Ranching as a means of raising livestock for meat or wool is common in the Western U.S., Canada, and Mexico.
Types of Ranches:
1. Cattle Ranch
An extensive, “open range” sort of operation where cows are bred to produce calves for sale and contain native grassland and some forests. Although cattle are the most common, other large animals, such as bison, are sometimes raised.
2. Acreage Estate
These properties are defined by their luxurious improvements and are often located in highly desirable areas near resorts or popular vacation spots.
They may be primary or secondary residences but are purchased primarily as luxury estates where owners may participate in hobby ranching or just enjoy the serenity and privacy offered by the surrounding acreage.
3. Guest Ranch
Typically oriented towards visitors or tourism, guest ranches offer lodging facilities for guests. Depending on the climate, some guest ranches are open only in the summer or winter, while others offer year-round service.
Some of the activities offered at many guest ranches include horseback riding, target shooting, cattle sorting, hayrides, campfire sing-alongs, hiking, camping, whitewater rafting, zip-lining, archery, and fishing.
4. Hunting Ranch
Hunting ranches offer sport hunting for large animals, including deer, elk, antelope, or various types of birds. For-profit hunting ranches typically offer guest accommodations for recreational hunters.
Personal hunting ranches may simply be acreage with appropriate conditions for wildlife, such as water and tree cover, that is purchased for hunting purposes.
5. Fishing Ranch
Although some fishing ranches are operated as fisheries, most are recreational properties. Fishing ranches with sport fishing capabilities have natural streams or rivers for fly fishing or man-made and stocked lakes for boat fishing.
6. Horse Ranch
Horse ranches are usually purchased for recreational purposes to accommodate horse enthusiasts.
They may consist of a simple barn and miles of riding trails or have complete equestrian facilities with indoor and outdoor arenas, turnout pastures, hay storage, large barns with multiple horse stalls, wash racks, and tack rooms.
7. Shared Amenity / Community Ranch
This type of ranch offers an alternative to the traditional ranch setup, where operational costs and demands can interfere with the ability to enjoy the property.
The shared amenity ranch offers an innovative way to live an authentic ranching lifestyle with some of the comforts of modern living.
6 Farms and Ranches to Visit in Houston
The Houston Properties Team believes our clients’ homes are an investment – both in the life they want to live and also to help them create long-term wealth. Our purpose is to help people create prosperity & wealth through the ownership of real estate. By finding the right home, our clients experience joy in their lives and abundance with their assets.
If you are looking for a first-hand experience of the "Houston County Life" check out these amazing and historic local farms and ranches, available at your convenience.
1. Located in Brookshire this farm offers more than 50 attractions, including an 8-acre cornfield maze. It also hosts seasonal attractions like a Trail of Lights during the holidays and a pumpkin patch in the fall.
2. Sitting in the heart of Simonton, this farm is best known for its seasonal berry picking. It also hosts farm-themed events like Easter egg hunts and pumpkin patches, plus attractions like hayrides, a rope maze, gem mining, jumping pads, a big slide, and a climbing web.
3. A 480-acre living history museum situated on a real working ranch. Located just 30 miles southwest of downtown Houston, the George Ranch Historical Park’s history follows the lineage of one Texas family from the 1830s through the 1930s.
Tour four different historic home sites, interact with the costumed interpreters, watch the cowboys rope and sort cattle, and more.
4. Oil Ranch of Hockley offers a wide variety of fun-filled attractions to choose from. This ranch has 56 acres of family entertainment and also offers hayrides and over eighty decorated scarecrows.
Everyone can enjoy a game of putt-putt or take a horse ride as well.
5. If you’re looking for something different, you’ll find it at TGR Exotics in Spring, Texas. Here, you will find animals not seen on the typical American farm, such as camels and kangaroos.
You will also be able to take a hayride, participate in crafts, have your face painted, and more.
6. Be sure to check out Nature Discovery Center’s Fall Festival on October 19th and 20th. At the center, you can pick a pumpkin and partake in the carnival-like atmosphere by enjoying rides and games.
Many locals love crossing the “devil’s rope bridge” at the center. You’ll also find tons of vendors and good food. Nature Discovery Center is a nonprofit organization located in Bellaire.
The Best Houston Realtor to Sell Your Home
The Houston Properties Team has a well-defined structure based on the individual strengths of each member. Each member is a specialist in their role – which is why our homes sell faster and for more money than average.
Paige Martin, Broker Associate with Keller Williams Realty, and the Houston Properties Team are ranked among the top residential Realtors in the world.
They have been featured on TV and in dozens of publications including The Wall Street Journal, Fortune Magazine, Reuters, Fox News in the Morning, Money Magazine, Houston Business Journal, Houstonia, and Houston Chronicle.
Paige Martin was just ranked as the #5 agent in the world with Keller Williams, completing over $1 Billion in Houston residential real estate sales.
Recent awards include:
– 2022: #1 Residential Real Estate Team by Sales Volume, Houston Business Journal
– 2021: Best Real Estate Teams in America, RealTrends.com
– 2021: Top 100 Women Leaders in Real Estate of 2021
– 2021: America’s Top 100 Real Estate Agents
– 2021: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2021: Best Houston Real Estate Team, Best of Reader’s Choice
– 2021: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2021: #1 Real Estate Team, Keller Williams Memorial
– 2020: America’s Best Real Estate Teams, Best of America Trends
– 2020: Best Houston Real Estate Team, Best of Reader’s Choice
– 2020: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2020: #6 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
– 2020: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas (Top Keller Williams Realtor)
– 2020: #1 Real Estate Team, Keller Williams Memorial
- 2019: Top Residential Realtors in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2019: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2019: #5 Individual Agent, KW Worldwide
- 2019: #1 Individual Agent, KW Texas
- 2018: #5 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2018: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2018: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2018: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2018: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2018: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2017: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2017: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2017: #10 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2017: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2017: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2017: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2016: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2016: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2016: #20 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2016: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2016: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, HBJ
- 2016: Five Star Realtor, Featured in Texas Monthly
- 2016: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: #9 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, United States
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2015: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: Top 25 Residential Realtor in Houston, HBJ
- 2015: Five Star Realtor, Texas Monthly Magazine
- 2014: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2014: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams Memorial
...in addition to over 318 additional awards.
Paige also serves a variety of non-profits, and civic and community boards. She was appointed by the mayor of Houston to be on the downtown TIRZ board.
Benefits Of Working With The Houston Properties Team
Our team, composed of distinguished and competent Houston luxury realtors, has a well-defined structure based on the individual strengths of each member.
We find team approach as the most effective way to sell homes. We have dedicated people doing staging, marketing, social media, open houses, and showings. Each Houston Properties Team member is a specialist in their role—which is why our homes sell faster and for more money than average.
The benefits of working with a team include:
- the ability to be in two or three places at one time; a member can handle showings, while another answer calls
- collective time and experience of members
- targeted advice and marketing of agent expert in your area
- competitive advantage by simply having more resources, more ideas, and more perspectives
- a “checks and balances” system; selling and buying a home in Houston is an intensely complex process
- more people addressing field calls and questions from buyers and agents to facilitate a faster, successful sale
- efficient multi-tasking; one agent takes care of inspections and repair work, while another agent focuses on administrative details
- multiple marketing channels using members’ networks
- constant attention: guaranteed focus on your home and your transaction
- lower risk for mistakes. Multiple moving parts increase oversights. A team approach handles these “parts” separately
- flexibility in negotiation and marketing
- better management of document flow
- increased foot traffic through more timely and effective showing schedule coordination; and
- increased sphere of influence and exposure to more potential buyers.
To meet all the award-winning members of the Houston Properties Team, please go here.
Best Houston Real Estate Resources
- Houston Texas Zip Code Map | HoustonProperties
- How To Avoid Buying In Houston's Flooded Zones
- Houston Neighborhoods | Houston Map, Real Estate, Homes
- 11 Killer Kitchens (Great Inspirations) | Houston Kitchen Renovation
- Clute Homes For Sale & Real Estate Trends