5 Rules of Selling A Houston Home This Fall
Learn about the five rules for selling your Houston home in the fall. A Houston real estate guide by top-ranked Houston realtor Paige Martin.
Spring Isn't The ONLY Time To Sell...Top 5 Rules of Selling Your Home This Fall
How often have you heard, "Oh, you don't want to sell your house in the Fall. You better wait for Spring..." or "No one should sell Houston home Fall".
While it's true that the springtime is historically a more popular time for people to be involved in a real estate transaction, it certainly doesn't mean that you're at a disadvantage if you sell Houston home Fall.
What you may not know about Fall buyers is that they're more motivated than Spring & Summer buyers. There is typically less inventory & buyers have busier calendars -- work, school activities, family obligations, holidays...
Buyers in the Fall don't have the luxury of leisurely perusing housing options throughout the Spring and Summer. Instead, Fall buyers typically need to make decisions within a shorter timeframe; they view fewer homes; and, they make decisions more quickly.
Additionally, there are some real tax advantages to owning a new home prior to the new year. Coupled with the low, low-interest rates available today, buyers have tangible motivation to buy a home before the year ends.
The Fall Season is a great opportunity to set your home apart and take advantage of buyer motivation. But, before you list your home, make sure you know the "Top 5 Rules" of selling your home this time of year.
"The Houston Properties Team was absolutely amazing. I had initially listed with a different realtor that was recommended by a neighbor with very poor results. It was even more difficult because I was no longer in Houston and the trust I had put in the other agent was definitely taken advantage of. However, when I found Kim with the Houston Properties Team, all that changed. I was informed throughout the process and when she promised something would be done, it was. Before the experience with her, I swore off ever even considering purchasing a home again. She restored my faith in the real estate world." – Jeanette (Google Review)
Table of Contents
- Rule 1: Get the Curb Appeal Right
- Rule 2: Stage Appropriately for the Season
- Rule 3: Think Like a Buyer
- Rule 4: Don’t Ignore Feedback or the Market Data
- Rule 5: Price It Right
- The Best Houston Realtor to Sell Your Home
Rule 1: Get the Curb Appeal Right
For a more extensive guide to selling your Houston home, contact Paige Martin at PMartin@HoustonProperties.com
Because buyers are moving quickly, don’t get disqualified in a drive-by.
Replace the dead Summer landscaping from your front beds. Freshen your mulch. Plant seasonally-appropriate flowers and greenery.
Curb appeal is more important this time of year because buyers are moving faster and culling options based on first impressions.
Rule 2: Stage Appropriately for the Season
“Paige Martin and her team are simply the best. She has worked with my husband and me for the last couple of years in our quest to find the perfect first home. She was patient with us throughout the process and took the time to answer all of our questions! She knows so much about the housing market so we felt very confident that we were in great hands!” – Dr. Jen Shroff
Having a home abundantly overflowing with pumpkins and fall decorations can clutter your home in a hurry. It’s okay to participate in seasonal holidays and decorations. But, don’t let that overpower your home. Buyers still need to see the great features of what your house has to offer.
It’s also a good time of the year to showcase your home’s “fall features” such as fireplaces, outdoor fire pits, and kitchens. Like swimming pools in the summertime, these assets become more important to buyers this time of year. They can visualize using them as the weather turns cooler.
Rule 3: Think Like a Buyer
Need more tips for selling your home? Contact Paige Martin, the #1 Realtor in Houston, for home selling guides or sign in to our newsletter.
If you’ve followed my newsletter, then you’ve heard me say this time & time again…If you’re a seller in this market, then you MUST know what buyers are thinking.
Buyers have a different perspective than sellers. They will not see your home the way you do. They will not perceive the real estate market the same way you do. If you expect them to, they will move on to other options.
Nuances that you have learned to live with or that you no longer notice may be real factors for buyers, so don’t discount their perspective.
Living on a noisy street or having a less desirable view, for example, might be features that do not matter to you; however, they may be major hurdles for buyers.
Know your home’s strengths and weaknesses –and be willing to adjust your selling strategy to deal with these items.
Rule 4: Don’t Ignore Feedback or the Market Data
"The Houston Properties Team is fantastic!!! I use to live in a townhome community. My neighbor’s home came on the market two weeks before we listed. My home sold and theirs is still sitting on the market (now a month after our closing!) Their marketing program works. I’d highly recommend them to anyone who wants to sell their home.” – Brian Donaldson Shell International Exploration & Production
This dovetails with Rule #3. If agents and buyers are providing specific feedback about particular aspects that are hindering the sale of your home, listen to it.
Don’t justify to yourself why their feedback isn’t valid or why the market doesn’t matter.
At the end of the day, it’s a buyer that’s buying your home – not you. As difficult as it is, work to de-emotionalize yourself from the feedback process and don’t take the candid comments too personally.
It’s actually very constructive feedback. And, even better, if you react quickly and appropriately to the concerns, then you’ll sell your home faster.
Rule 5: Price It Right
The Houston Properties Team is the #1 Boutique Real Estate Team in Houston. Listing with us means having a whole team consistently working for you. Contact Paige Martin at PMartin@HoustonProperties.com.
We’ve been very fortunate that Houston didn't experience the trauma that other parts of the country have had in their markets. That doesn’t mean that this year has been a piece of cake, either. In many neighborhoods, we have seen pricing return to where they were a few years ago.
What this means for you as a seller is that buyers are aware of this, too. Buyers are buying, but they’re not willing to overpay for a home.
Price isn’t A factor that buyers consider in looking at your home; it is still THE factor. Even the best marketing can’t overcome an overpriced home. If you’re not priced right, buyers will pass you by for a home that is.
So, review the comps and get real about your expectations. Price your home to sell in line with where the market is now – not where the market was. Otherwise, be willing to sit it out and wait until prices rebound.
The Best Houston Realtor to Sell Your Home
The Houston Properties Team has a well-defined structure based on the individual strengths of each member. Each member is a specialist in their role – which is why our homes sell faster and for more money than average.
Paige Martin, Broker Associate with Keller Williams Realty, and the Houston Properties Team are ranked among the top residential Realtors in the world.
They have been featured on TV and in dozens of publications including The Wall Street Journal, Fortune Magazine, Reuters, Fox News in the Morning, Money Magazine, Houston Business Journal, Houstonia, and Houston Chronicle.
Paige Martin was just ranked as the #5 agent in the world with Keller Williams, completing over $1 Billion in Houston residential real estate sales.
Recent awards include:
– 2022: #1 Residential Real Estate Team by Sales Volume, Houston Business Journal
– 2021: Best Real Estate Teams in America, RealTrends.com
– 2021: Top 100 Women Leaders in Real Estate of 2021
– 2021: America’s Top 100 Real Estate Agents
– 2021: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2021: Best Houston Real Estate Team, Best of Reader’s Choice
– 2021: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2021: #1 Real Estate Team, Keller Williams Memorial
– 2020: America’s Best Real Estate Teams, Best of America Trends
– 2020: Best Houston Real Estate Team, Best of Reader’s Choice
– 2020: Top Real Estate Team (Houston Properties Team), Houston Business Journal
– 2020: #6 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
– 2020: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas (Top Keller Williams Realtor)
– 2020: #1 Real Estate Team, Keller Williams Memorial
- 2019: Top Residential Realtors in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2019: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2019: #5 Individual Agent, KW Worldwide
- 2019: #1 Individual Agent, KW Texas
- 2018: #5 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2018: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2018: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2018: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2018: Top 25 Residential Realtors in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2018: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2017: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2017: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2017: #10 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2017: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2017: Top 25 Residential Realtors in Houston, Houston Business Journal
- 2017: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2016: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2016: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2016: #20 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Worldwide
- 2016: Texas’ Most Influential Realtors
- 2016: Top 25 Residential Realtors in Houston, HBJ
- 2016: Five Star Realtor, Featured in Texas Monthly
- 2016: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: #9 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, United States
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Texas
- 2015: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams, Houston
- 2015: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2015: Top 25 Residential Realtors in Houston, HBJ
- 2015: Five Star Realtor, Texas Monthly Magazine
- 2014: America’s Best Real Estate Agents, RealTrends.com
- 2014: #1 Individual Agent, Keller Williams Memorial
...in addition to over 318 additional awards.
Paige also serves a variety of non-profits, and civic and community boards. She was appointed by the mayor of Houston to be on the downtown TIRZ board.
Benefits Of Working With The Houston Properties Team
Our team, composed of distinguished and competent Houston luxury realtors, has a well-defined structure based on the individual strengths of each member.
We find the team approach as the most effective way to sell homes. We have dedicated people doing staging, marketing, social media, open houses, and showings. Each Houston Properties Team member is a specialist in their role—which is why our homes sell faster and for more money than average.
The benefits of working with a team include:
- the ability to be in two or three places at one time; a member can handle showings, while another answer calls
- collective time and experience of members
- targeted advice and marketing of agent expert in your area
- competitive advantage by simply having more resources, more ideas, and more perspectives
- a “checks and balances” system; selling and buying a home in Houston is an intensely complex process
- more people addressing field calls and questions from buyers and agents to facilitate a faster, successful sale
- efficient multi-tasking; one agent takes care of inspections and repair work, while another agent focuses on administrative details
- multiple marketing channels using members’ networks
- constant attention: guaranteed focus on your home and your transaction
- lower risk for mistakes. Multiple moving parts increase oversights. A team approach handles these “parts” separately
- flexibility in negotiation and marketing
- better management of document flow
- increased foot traffic through more timely and effective showing schedule coordination; and
- increased sphere of influence and exposure to more potential buyers.
To meet all the award-winning members of the Houston Properties Team, please go here.
Best Houston Real Estate Resources
- Houston Texas Zip Code Map | HoustonProperties
- How To Avoid Buying In Houston's Flooded Zones
- Houston Neighborhoods | Houston Map, Real Estate, Homes
- Timbergrove/Lazybrook Homes For Sale & Real Estate Trends
- Houston Bayou Bend Towers For Sale | Luxury Memorial Park Condos